Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2022

I took on the mayor... and won

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow American revelers.  Happy Thursday, everybody else. I'm thankful to not wake up to news of another mass shooting event - knock on wood.

All the sons are planning to come over later, I've got a large breast... simmering in the slow cooker, and I will eventually get to work on my candied sweet potatoes. I pretty much wear all the toques in this kitchen's French brigade, so expectations are not too high. But there will be food for which to give thanks.

This morning, I ran in the local Thanksgiving Day Run - 4 miles of fun near downtown. 


It was a lovely morning for it: temps in upper 30's, slightly overcast, kinda breezy. The snow and ice from last week's storm is mostly all gone, so that was nice. Race results aren't yet available, and I wasn't really "racing" this year, just there to be part of the pack. It was a good fun time.

And a pack it was. We were shoulder to shoulder for the entire first mile it seemed, then the elbow room slowly opened up. I know my pace was pretty slow for those first couple miles of running like one sheep among many, but I managed to pick off a few contenders for the second half.



I'd been running with a content group during a good portion of the back stretch. A woman to my left was running with a guy and acknowledging a few spectators here and there. I don't really know any well-known runners or well-known people in general since we moved here at the onset of the pandemic. But she seemed to be someone people might know.

At one point, we went by a group of people cheering on the side of the road for us random strangers, and the guy running with "Miss Popularity" pointed to her and said, "she's the mayor!"

I glanced over at the woman, decked out in running clothes, a bright fleece beanie, and sunglasses (coulda been anyone). I don't know much about our mayor, but I at least know her name and have seen her picture on some propaganda promoting our bicycle friendly city - her happily commuting via bicycle.

"Oh, so I've been running with the mayor", I pondered to myself. 

Then I sped up. It's likely the only time I will choose to take on the mayor - singlehandedly at least - and win.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:

1. Happy Thanksgiving! How will you be spending your holiday?



6 comments:

Morgan Cartwright said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Congrats on beating the mayor!

Lorraine said...

Cool! Good for you! Happy Turkey day!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Happy Thanksgiving.
I only walked 2 miles today. Lazy.
And I saw no one that was famous or not in a car. :-)

John Holton said...

Day's almost over here. Hope your Thanksgiving was a good one! Congratulations on beating the mayor!

Liz Hinds said...

Family and love, food is just an extra bonus.

KatBouska said...

You outran the mayor! lol That is so funny. It's like a sitcom episode.