Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2022

getting closure

Nice to be sitting here at the end of a busy week. Lots of activity at work with it being the week before Thanksgiving, PLUS a lot of people are out sick. Not COVID, but there seems to be a heavy cold thing going around. Lots of people fighting the snot wars.


I feel kind of bad for these college students, having forgotten what that's like. Miss a couple of classes, and too bad, the work moves on without you. 

I was tutoring yesterday, and another student whom I don't formally tutor, but have helped out a few times, tried to "crash" the session my student, "Ren", and I were having. I know Ren, didn't want the other guy, "Joe", to join, and we managed to fend him off, but I felt kind of bad.

Joe explained that his tutor, Kay, has been out sick for two weeks. TWO weeks! I wondered why I hadn't seen Kay in a while.



My coworkers in the testing center have been in and out with illness too, and we don't have much back fill. So I worked a few extra hours last week to cover. On Thursday, I was working my usual scheduled shift as we  were getting our first decent snowstorm of the season. An announcement came over the PA that campus was closing early because of the weather.


So we all got to go home early, but what a pain, having to end certification exams that people had prepared and paid for. They'll be able to reschedule, but I know they were thinking they'd have them out of the way and be able to relax for Thanksgiving.

Think again.

But hey, at least we're not Buffalo, NY! Eek, whatta mess. 



Stay warm and safe!


4 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Growing up on Lake Erie I know that weather. I too am glad I am not in Buffalo. Although their roads are clear and they handle it so well. but...
We have decided to go back to masks. Everyone is sick. I went to the grocery store the other day and 50% were wearing masks and I thought it may be good for me to get back to it. I may have had boosters, and flu shots and pneumonia shots but I just don't want to get sick again since I am just getting out of that 6 month "fog".
You being around all those kids/people you're lucky you're not sick.

Abby said...

Peggy, upstate NY does put priority on road snow removal, but I don't miss those winters.
I was at a grocery store today and noticed more masks than I've seen recently. I've had the various vaccines too, but still... lots of hand washing!

Linda Sue said...

Six feet in , what- twenty minutes? Insane! I would not have the gear for that sort of winter, not anymore since I have lived in the pansy PNW for so long!
The virus is having such a successful run again up here! I forgot my mask for the first time today but shopped anyway. Dumb bell.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, we had two feet of snow a couple of winters ago, and everything stopped. Can't imagine three times as much!