Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2022

where'd she go?

Happy Autumnal Equinox. We're having a fitting day of grey, damp, and drizzly.

We're running a bit lean at work these days. Coworker Kat left a couple of weeks ago. She'd wanted to work from home, and got a job as a crisis hotline counselor. I think it's a good fit for her as she has some experience in that area, and it's more along her interests. Kat could be daunting on first impression - over 6 ft. tall and big boned. But she has a most calming "aura" - a nice feature at a testing center.



I worked on Tuesday, and our last tester of the day started crying when I told her her time was up. 


She hastily gathered her test papers and materials and I could hear the snot forming, and thought, "here we go". 


I mean, it was a biology test...



Eesh. We get the criers sometimes, and I always feel a bit awkward. 

I was working with Assistant Boss, and we discussed how we're never quite sure how to handle the criers. 


He and I had one a few weeks ago that was so bad, we passed the buck to one of the mental health counselors down the hall. 


Poor girl just put her head down on the desk and bawled. 


I mean, it was a calculus test...



Okay, enough of the Dad Joke Puns.

Kat had given ample notice, and Boss hired a replacement who'd begun training with us. Then *BAM*, Boss got an email on Monday, "...not a good fit...blah blah blah...". That's it, she's gone, us left in the lurch. No notice, nothing.

So it was a bit of a shock, coming from a mature "professional". I honestly didn't get a chance to know her very well - only worked a few hours with her. However, Boss put the job posting up again and also put the word out around campus. Looks like a couple of part-time instructors will pick up extra hours with us. 

Fingers crossed, problem solved.


8 comments:

Jeanette said...

Ugh! Well I hope they get someone hired soon for you! Working with a lean crew can be tough!

Linda Sue said...

no one wants to hear "time's up". That is not the best part of your job, is it.

Danielle L Zecher said...

That's awesome that they posted the position so quickly! I wish my job would do that.

betty said...

LOL, pretty much every job I've ever worked at, those first few weeks/months I've thought "this is not a good fit" or something similar but ended up liking the majority of the jobs I had. Are jobs plentiful in your area that people can be so picky and choosy about them? I'm a crier lol. Not the right setting in your situation at work, but the best response when a pastor asked me how everything was going at our house and I started crying, he said "let's all take a moment and pray". I'd probably hand tissues to the crier there and cry along with them :)

betty

Abby said...

Jeanette, looks like Boss has hired a couple of part-time instructors = win-win 🙂.

Linda Sue, you're right. We need a better phrase. "Hooray, you're free to go!"

Abby said...

Danielle, Boss can be a bit of a slacker at times, but he pounces on filling staff positions!

Betty, the "ex" was definitely still in training mode, and I agree that "not a good fit" is typical during those times. I don't know that jobs are plentiful, I think she was just a bit flaky.
Yeah, I can't really mention prayer at a state college, but I've gotten good at passing out tissues!

LL Cool Joe said...

I've always find it tricky when people start crying, especially if it feels like an over reaction.

Thanks for the Dad Jokes. I wonder why we don't get Mom/Mum jokes?

Abby said...

LL Cool Joe, good point. Why only Dad jokes? Of course there's "your mom" jokes...