Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2022

male influence, TP theft, wild critters

As I sit here, I can hear the little neighbor girl of about 4 years old, I'd guess, playing and conversing with the man o' the house. These neighbors moved in maybe about a year ago? Year and a half? Could be two years, I'm not that observant.

Anyway, the little girl is cute, but wasn't very verbal. We'd hear her making animal-like noises. Other times we'd hear her having loud wailing-and-gnashing-of-teeth meltdowns. I figured she could be low on the autism spectrum or such.

For the last couple of months, it's been calm and quiet, and the girl does in fact speak and act like a typical kid of her age. The one difference I've noticed is that the first man o' the house is no longer around. He was a thin blonde guy - often seen taking smoke breaks outside. This current man is on the heavy side, brown hair, no noticeable smoke breaks.

I mentioned to Magnum yesterday that I think (the guy we assumed was "Dad") doesn't live there anymore.

"I saw him mowing the lawn last week", Magnum replied.

"A man was mowing the lawn last week, but he wasn't (the guy we assumed was "Dad")", I pointed out their major differences in their appearance. Sheesh, and I thought my powers of observation were bad.

Bottom line, I haven't seen thin-blonde-possible-Dad man in quite a while. And cute little girl seems calm and happy. I don't know what relation chubby-nonsmoking-lawnmower man has to the mom and daughter, but he seems to be a positive influence. 

Maybe I should try to get to know my neighbors a little better other than just the passing "hello". 

In other news of the week, 

  • I continue with a bit of "death cleaning" and freed up some space in the garage by selling a couple of things. I was surprised to see that people sell $100k+ cars on facebook. I did not sell any cars, $100k+ or otherwise.
  • Campus security at work busted a woman stealing toilet paper - dispensers and all - from various buildings. She's not an employee or student of the college, and they figured out her identity from her library card. She checked out items from the library before wrenching a toilet paper dispenser from the bathroom? 
  • On the plus side, we have a lot of shiny new TP dispensers at work
  • I'm hearing of bear sightings around town. I believe they're entering their time of fattening up for winter hibernation. I have, thankfully, not encountered any bears, but, oh deer, these two came out to greet me during a recent morning run.



Two deer cancel one bear, right?



8 comments:

betty said...

That is good math. And yes, 2 deer cancel one bear! Wow the audacity to steal the TP and dispensers as well! Got to have a big purse/backpack for that! I was better at knowing our neighbors when I worked at home and my "office" desk faced the window to the front of the house. I saw a lot of comings and goings. I hope your 4 y/o little girl neighbor is in a better living situation than before!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, I don't even know how the TP thief removed the dispensers from the walls. Plus they're the double-wides, so quite large!

John Holton said...

Not just toilet paper, but the dispenser as well? Maybe she's in the restroom fixtures business...

Abby said...

John, yes! Maybe she heard that people in Colorado make good money operating dispensaries, misunderstood.

Linda Sue said...

Holy thievery! That is weird! I mean a few squares to put in your purse for just in case- fine, but the entire wall??
Banana bread for the neighbors is usually a good ice breaker- get to know ya- sort of thing. I did that but I put the hot banana bread on the counter to cool not realizing that some one had washed the counter with dish soap and failed to rinse it, i took the bread over , tasted the one left for us...Oh dear! Not a very good first impression, but if you rinse your counters it could be a nice offering- the no soapy bread i mean.

Jeanette said...

Well, two years ago I may have understood stealing the TP but the dispensers, too?

Danielle L Zecher said...

People really will steal just about anything.

Glad you haven't encountered any bears. They're cute, but I don't want to see one up close and personal.

LL Cool Joe said...

If I were going to steal stuff, loo rolls and dispensers would be low on my list of chosen items.

Sounds like you have interesting neighbours.