Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2022

escapism

When we were in Steamboat Springs, I realized I'd forgotten my Kindle. I've been meaning to read more, and I love how I can carry "shelves" of books on one small device. But there I was... bookless. 

I do have the Libby app, which I'd forgotten about 🙄. I don't like reading books on my phone, but it would've done in a pinch. And as I mentioned earlier, I chucked instagram from my phone - so nice to not have that time waster anymore!

While we were browsing Steamboat's downtown, we came across a local bookstore selling used and new.  Nothing really spoke to me, though, so I remained bookless. The things we take for granted.

So this week, I was glad to get back to my reading. I finished Stoner, which is actually not about a pothead. Honestly, if it was about a pothead, I might have found it more engrossing?

It's a story of a young farm boy who goes off to college to learn about farming, but ends up loving and making a career as an English Lit professor instead. Written in 1965, it spans his life from around 1900 to the 1950s.

It's touted as a "classic", but I don't think I'm the right reader for this one. I gave it three stars out of five⭐⭐⭐✖✖  mainly because I appreciated the introspection, and it felt wrong to be any harsher on a "classic".

But at the same time, geesh, the man was SO passive, and it's really a 2 or 2.5 for me. This cover illustration really gets the mood of the whole book. 

"Oh, there's a war? Welp, I'm just gonna go to classes. My wife's a basket case? I'll just hang out at my office.  ho hum...

I found the story, the narration, and certainly Stoner himself to be so very flat and passive. At about the halfway point, he seems to rise up a bit, but then quickly returns to his rather lifeless life. Again, I think I just wasn't the right reader for this book. I mean, so much seemed to be about him being an English professor. I get it... he's an English professor. 

While I didn't purchase anything from that little bookstore, I perused one from a prominent shelf display and thought it might be worthwhile. 

With Teeth is about a woman struggling with her son and his issues - whatever those might be - from his toddler days into the teen years. I downloaded a sample to my kindle, and I couldn't even get through that. I can't properly review a sample, but it was just really bad IMO.

From the few pages I was able to get through, it seems to be about a woman who neither wants to be a mother nor has any business being responsible for the upbringing of a child.  Then she whines about it. A lot.

Funny thing, I read some reviews - they ranged from awful to great - and many said similar things 

"She's an awful mother, not one likeable character - five stars!"

To each their own.




I also checked out a copy of The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning. I've been doing a lot of decluttering and organizing lately, so thought I'd see if this book had much to offer.

It's a cute book and probably insightful for those who live among lots of clutter, but didn't have much to offer otherwise. Basics: get your crap pared down and in order so someone doesn't have to do it for you later. Certainly a good message... thinking of my oldest brother having to go through my parents' house.




Lastly, in other fictional escapism, we've been watching Outsiders on Hulu. It's about an Appalachian Mountain clan in Kentucky having it out with a coal company that wants to kick them off and mine their mountain down to nuthin'. 

There's only two seasons, and we're about at the last episode. I think it's well cast and well written. I'll miss these hillbillies when it's over.


7 comments:

betty said...

I'm not sure I would enjoy any of these books. The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning could be interesting as we had to clear out my in laws' house upon their passing. It was a nightmare and I resolved not to have that happen to our kids upon our passing. That series sounds interesting on Hulu. I don't have that but might have to spring for it down the line. I'm hooked on "I Am a Killer" on Netflix. Not sure what I'll find next after I'm finishing binging it. I agree, I'm not one that likes to read on my phone either. I prefer the bigger screen :)

betty

Abby said...

Betty, right, I wouldn't recommend any of these books. But as you know first hand, "death cleaning" is a good idea! I'm gonna go check your shelves for decent reads :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Wow, those books sound very bad to me. Now that I can read I've been catching up on books I have not read that are in my home. The way you felt about the man in the "classic" was similar to how I felt ready a Sally Field bio. She angered me so I gave the book away. What a passive wuss. Then to complain about it when you said and did nothing time and time again! Argh!

Abby said...

Peggy, I recall seeing the Sally Fields biography recently at the library. Good I didn't pick it up, I guess!

Jeanette said...

We've been looking for a new series to watch so I think we will check out "Outsiders" tonight. Thanks for the recommendation!

Abby said...

Jeanette, it took a couple episodes, but then we got into the story and characters. Interested to know what you think!

Danielle L Zecher said...

You're nicer than I am. I don't let the fact that a book is a classic stop me from giving it a one or two star review. But, I've also never liked the idea of being required to read certain things. The Swedish death cleaning book sounds good. It is horrible having to deal with what someone else has hoarded!