Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2022

call o' nature

We went away for a few days of relaxation on the beach... but not really.


We went away for a few days of play in the mountains. I'm not really one for sitting on a lounge chair on a cruise ship or beach while sipping an umbrella drink and taking a pic of my sandaled feet. So this'll do.

We visited lovely Steamboat Springs, CO - yet another touristy resort town up yonder. A ski town fer shur, but plenty to do year-round, so the whole fam headed there for a little end-of-summer getaway.

None of us had been there before except for Magnum who'd gone there to ski once or twice in the pre-me days.



We stayed in an Airbnb or Vrbo (Magnum booked it...) condo with plenty of room for all of us and nice views off the pond.

Our condo also allowed us to bring Chaco's dog, Ella. Our dogs stayed behind at the kennel, so don't tell them about Ella.



On our first full day, we rented bicycles and rode the length of the trail that runs through town, top to bottom and then some. Along the way, we stopped at the enjoyable Yampa River Botanic Park. It sits right along the bike path and was nicely laid out and maintained. 

My trip recorder skills are so bad, I didn't get one photo, but oh well. We have the internet.

On the bike ride, I noticed quite a few rather run down, mobile home type residences on the outskirts of town surrounding the posh big expensive homes of Steamboat. Thing with these resort towns - somebody needs to do the cookin' and cleanin' for the ritzy residents.

We walked around the small downtown area, Chaco in search of a hoodie. He preferred one that did not say "Steamboat Springs" anywhere on it. Not a chance.

With biking checked off our list, we headed out the next day for some hiking. We found a nearby trail that would take us to Fish Creek Falls, a moderate hike that took us from about 7400 ft to 9000 ft to the upper falls - around 4.5 miles out and back.






The aspens had not yet begun to change. It should be really pretty in a couple of weeks when we're not there.

We rounded things out with a good deal of eating and lounging and people watching and gaming. The trip provided me a much needed nature fix, yet left me thirsty for more. Greedy, I know.


6 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Nothing like a get away doing something you love. Great pics.

Danielle L Zecher said...

Glad you had a good trip. Hopefully, your dogs won't find out about your treachery. If they're anything like ours, though, they probably enjoyed the kennel.

betty said...

So pretty there! I don't think I've been to Steamboat Springs, maybe drove through it? I know I've been to Colorado Springs, Aspen, Estes Park, Salida, Denver and maybe a few other places. Colorado really is such a pretty state! How cool that everyone could come along on the trip! I think AirBnB or the like is the way to go these days over a hotel. Your secret is safe with me about the dog who got to come along on the trip :) Glad you guys had a good trip and time together! I wondered what you were up to!

betty

Abby said...

Peggy, it was a good time 😊

Danielle, I don't think our dogs "enjoy" the kennel much, but we'll just avoid the conversation.

Betty, I'd say Steamboat is similar to Estes Park and Salida - smallish, touristy, pretty mountain town.

Jeanette said...

I'm with you! Getting out in nature is a much better way to relax than sitting by a pool! Steamboat Springs looks awesome!

Abby said...

Jeanette, so much better!