Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2022

supply chain chain chain

Sunday now - it was a rather busy week. Time for a bit of weekly reflection, shall we?

I've already mentioned enough of my flat tire adventure. I'll report that Daisy is back in business, looking and feeling fine. I've also ordered some more tubes and a new carry-on pump. I'm prepared!

I attended a meeting - my first since signing on as a tutor at the college - with the tutoring group. The meeting served as a sort of pep rally to kick off the school year and also to familiarize everyone with the new online platform for profiles, scheduling, etc. 

There were about 10 of us in attendance, and I was the lone newbie at the meeting. About half of them are retired teachers, I gathered from the gray hair. A couple younger people came across as quite brainy, but a bit socially awkward - enough to where it might hamper their ability or desire for more traditional jobs. Another guy was rather pompous, like a cartoon character. I feel a bit sorry for his tutees.

But it was nice to get things going and become familiar with how the college handles tutoring requests. One woman I got to know provided me with some very useful materials too.

Also this week, we helped a bit with Meego navigating the world of used car shopping. His $3500 Civic is likely not long for this world. Supply chain issues are just about everywhere.

Speaking of which, what are y'all doing for distilled water and Friskies cat food? Both of these items, I've learned, are experiencing supply chain shortages. I use distilled water for irrigating my sinuses a couple times a week. It helps with my allergies and also with my bum sinus that resulted from the extraction of a large bum tooth a few years ago.

Friskies dry cat food is on backorder as well. Neither of these shortages are major issues for me. I can function fine without distilled water, and honestly, I've been wanting to ween our cat off of Friskies for a while. Last time I tried changing his food up, he refused to comply, wanting only his crap Friskies. 

Too bad, Napolion. Time to go cold turkey... or cold "adult indoor chicken". Wish us luck.



6 comments:

John Holton said...

The graphic is from "Bad Teacher," right?

Try leaving the food out until he eats it. That usually works with ours. She's currently eating the Friskies Shreds. Before that, she was eating Sheba, and before that, Fancy Feast. Cats are weird, but I love 'em...

betty said...

Well, the cat food issue is not a problem here :) But probably the dog food has supply chain issues. Winslow eats Hill Science for adults, the small nibble size. We used to buy the big bag (15 pounds) but haven't been able to find that so we've been getting 2 small 5 pound bags. Price went up significantly too.

It is good that there is a support system for those who tutor at your college. Nice to know you aren't alone out there! Glad too that Daisy is well equipped in case there are other tire issues!

Honestly, I'm not sure what we are going to do when/if we need to buy a new car. Both cars have some age on them (2015/2016) and are paid off. Running okay. We might just go down to one car. Who knows. Scary with the cost of vehicles these days. Son told us what his car payment is and I just about fainted. Good luck to Meeko on his search for a reliable vehicle!

betty

Abby said...

John, it's been a few years, but yeah, pretty sure that's from "Bad Teacher", which wasn't as bad a movie as I expected.
My usual strategy is to mix new food in with the old until the old is completely replaced. Last time, he ate all around the new stuff. I'm going with a different brand this time... 'cause I love 'em too.

Abby said...

Betty, our dogs eat the Hill's Science too. I get the 35 lb. bag, and yes the price noticeably increased.
Car shopping has changed since pre-COVID. Low supply, so less room for negotiating. I looked up used versions of our older son's car. Cost for used is more than what he paid new.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

So if I went back to brown hair would you not know I was retired? 😉
I don't use a lot of distilled water or have and will never need Friskies so I'm safe. Whew. As for cars. We bought a used small truck for the business. Had it for 4 years and sold it for 7k more than we paid for it. Sold it back to carmax where we bought it. Now that's when supply issues helped me. Crazy right?

Abby said...

Peggy, I've gotten used to working with people mostly younger than I am, so it was different where the grey-haireds outnumbered the non 😏.