Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2022

I should go

I enjoyed an easy going run along a quiet pathway this morning after another busy week. Or I should say that this particular path is normally quiet, which was why I chose to go there. Lo and behold, not long after I hopped on the path, I was met with participants of a charitable 5k.

So I ran with that pack - them going both directions - for a mile or so before reaching their turnaround point. They seemed to be a happy crowd including some little kids and people dressed in superhero costumes. I will note that I passed Wonder Woman. 💪

I've since learned it was the 4th annual Be a Hero 5k, raising proceeds for victims of child sexual abuse. My running club was one of the sponsors, and clearly I haven't been paying attention to local charity runs. I'm glad they had a nice morning for it. Once they all turned around and I kept going on my merry way, I did enjoy the rather placid run I'd intended.


In other peacefulness news, I decided to remove Instagram from my phone. I would habitually open it only to be hit with a bunch of ads, stupid reels, and ultra filtered "influencers" with fake faces and fake lives. I used to enjoy seeing occasional updates from my handful of non-influential friends, but now there's so much crap to get through. Plus, I rarely upload anything myself.  I had an epiphany and uninstalled. I still have an account, but its days are probably numbered.

Blogging remains my social media of choice, and I've missed catching up with blog friends this week. With the start of classes and tutor onboarding, I've been hanging out mostly in my left brain. It's good to get out for a breather.

But speaking of content creators, this week I managed to stumble upon my grandfather's IMDb page. I don't even remember what led me there, but there he was.  My dad's dad was a silent film director way back in the day, hence the IMDb page. The page doesn't have much content, but enough to know it's him, and I did watch snippets of his movies. I never knew him personally as he died a couple years before I was born.  Nice work, Gramps!

As far as updates go, I've got the cat on some new healthier food, and we're weening off the remaining Friskies. Friskies are back on the store shelves, but I'm thankful for that particular supply chain shortage. 

The cat will thank me later.



6 comments:

betty said...

Glad you found an alternative for the cat food :) We were able to find Winslow's dog food in abundance through Chewy.com. Got a 15 pound bag of it and a new BulliBone he likes. Ordered it Wednesday night and got it Thursday afternoon with free delivery since we ordered over a certain amount of money. Of course I'm thinking it was a quick delivery because Chewy has a distribution site in Phoenix :)

Sounds like a good run that was put on. Certainly a worthy cause!

Wow with your grandfather. Very interesting bit of history. Glad you got to check out his IMDb page!!

I deleted my Instagram back about a year ago then decided to start a new account a few months ago. I don't really do much on it. An occasional picture here and there. I really don't know how people find the time to do all the social media they do.

betty

Abby said...

Betty, I've never ordered from chewy.com, but know they have lots of good stuff! It was fun finding the grandpa page and see his long list of "movies". Silent films were pretty short compared to movies today. They're cute and creative.
It feels good to have instagram off of my phone - for now. I have two accounts, a "me" account and another I use for art fun. I'll likely keep the art fun one - I get less crap in my feed for that one.

Jeanette said...

That looks like a beautiful place to run! What a great charity too!

Abby said...

Jeanette, it is a nice place. And I certainly did not mind the charitable company 🙂

Danielle L Zecher said...

I don't envy you trying to change your cat's food! I don't think most of our cats would tolerate that very well.

That's so cool that there's an IMDb page for your grandfather. It's fun to see what they did in their lives, especially when it's something really cool. I was delighted when one of my coworkers found my grandfather in a book on Air Force history.

Abby said...

Danielle, the cat was picky at first, but seems to be taking to the new stuff. Friskies be gone!
It was fun stumbling upon my grandgather's IMDb page. My grandmother would talk about the silent movie studio days sometimes, so it was fun to see his long list of films.