Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2022

one small step

It was passed my bedtime. I recall being in my pajamas, but my brother and I were either kept up or awakened from our slumbers. Either way, it was dark outside and we were "made" to watch TV - highly unusual.



Dutifully, I watched the screen with rapt attention. The image was quite grainy in black and white. The black and white was typical, though, because we only had a black and white TV. What I watched were astronauts landing and walking around on the moon.



Honestly, though, I was not sure why I was kept up for such viewing. I was 4 years old and had seen astronauts before. Maybe not on TV, maybe not walking around on the moon, but yeah. Astronauts were certainly a thing. And that's what they did, right? They walked around on the moon.



I'd seen astronauts on the magazine covers my parents subscribed to. I glimpsed astronauts on the TV news. We drank Tang because that's what astronauts drank. 





We ate those (awful yuck pooey) Space Sticks because they were cool astronaut food.


And there I was, sitting on the floor, passed my bedtime, looking up at TV footage of astronauts on the moon. Okay, cool, I guess? I have a vague recollection that even Grandma was there with us. Was something momentous happening? None of the adults were speaking as they seemed a bit speechless, so I was left to ponder. 


And that was that: sitting on the floor in the dark watching grainy images of astronauts, the whole family minus my oldest brother, who was away at college, gathered 'round. It was a bit later that I would learn it was history in the making. 

So I was "there" before realizing how historic. But I drank the Tang and gagged on the Space Sticks.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:

1. Share one of the first news stories you remember caring about.


11 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Oh yes, TANG...ick. I can remember not being impressed but feeling I should be. A guy on the moon...Ok...

Abby said...

Linda Sue, you've summed up my thoughts on the matter precisely.

betty said...

I'm not sure I know anything about Space Sticks. Haven't heard of them, but did drink my fair share of Tang :) I remember in elementary school the TVs being brought into the classrooms to watch the astronauts returning to earth time after time after time. I guess it was exciting back then, sort of like walking around the moon. Now it would be just taken for granted I think :)

betty

Abby said...

Betty, I remember watching a splash down or two. I'm glad for you - you were spared the space sticks!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I too was awakened to view this. I have never had space sticks and I think I'm glad I haven't. I had Tang at my cousin's and thought it was awful and thrilled my mom never bought it. My mom was dying then but still at home. (she died 8 weeks later) She so wanted "we girls" to watch this with her and we sat up and watched it. The impact of how important this was lost on me at 12, yet I have a very strong memory of this event.

Abby said...

Peggy, were my brother and I of only a handful of kids who suffered the Space Sticks?!
I'm glad your mom got to watch it with you as she wished. Like you, it didn't feel like a big deal at the time, but the memory is quite vivid.

Jeanette said...

Well, I was 15 at the time and typical of a teenager, cared only about what was happening in my little world so I barely remember watching it! The first big news I remember is Kennedy being shot and I was only 6. I remember being upset but that was only because my mom was crying!

Abby said...

Jeanette, I'm pretty sure my teen self would have been as enthused as you by the moon landing.

John Holton said...

I made a later-in-life discovery: Metamucil tastes like Tang...

And yes, those Space Food Sticks were awful...

Abby said...

John, Metamucil, you say? And aha, another Space Sticks victim!

KatBouska said...

I missed the moon landing, but definitely remember tang!