Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2022

loving ewe

Since succumbing to the crud that is covid, I've used my downtime to better myself. 

HA, LIKELY STORY.

I think I've increased my daily reading time a bit, but I've also spent some time watching what has turned out to be rather educational programming.

Clarkson's Farm, heard of the show? It's on Amazon Prime Video and hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, who is apparently well known for shows like "Top Gear" (I know not of it). Anyway, he becomes the owner of a 1,000-acre farm and decides to give it a go even though he knows nothing about farming. 

The show is both educational and entertaining. I particularly enjoy the bits about sheeping where the show follows Jeremy as he chooses and purchases nearly 80 sheep at auction, attempts to herd them with a drone (doesn't work), hires two rams to impregnate the herd, and then takes part in the lambing season.

WATCH SOME LAMBING HERE

I've learned some things like how sheep rams are basically sperm factories, ewes "need" to be part of a flock, sheep are surprisingly nimble, and ewes can be tricked into thinking another ewe's lamb is their own.  

I do now feel guilty about having eaten lamb and will likely never knowingly eat it again, but the show is well done and passes the time for the quarantined infirm like myself.


As far as my reading, I've been working my way through "Under the Banner of Heaven", Jon Krakaur's book about Mormon Fundamentalists and the murder of a woman and her child in the name of God. 

We lived for nearly 4 years in Utah among the Mormons. Polygamy was joked about, but it was also understood that it wasn't all joking.  

And now reading about the Fundamentalist's teachings while also learning about sheep farming, I notice many parallels between Fundamentalist Mormon women/ girls and sheep. 😳



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:

4. Share something you learned in June.


17 comments:

Linda Sue said...

That book freaked me out!!! So freaked out I went on to read every ex-mormon book ever written.
I did watch Clarkson's farm and I do remember Top Gear, which i did not appreciate because, cars and dudes.
YUM Lamb, this post made me hungry to eat a baby!!!

betty said...

I haven't eaten much lamb so I think I'm good here with that :) I think instead of a drone, he needed a corgi to herd those sheep! Sounds like an interesting show; I'm going to look for it on Prime. That book sounds fascinating. I've read a few books from women who have left the Mormon religion and had been involved in polygamy but not this one. Will see if my local e-library carries it.

Take heart, you will feel better soon and/or your days of quarantining will come to an end. We are back to wearing masks and getting health checks at the kiosk at work since the numbers are high in our area. .

betty

Abby said...

Linda Sue, it's a bit sad that lambs are so tasty.
I've listened to some escaped Mormon podcasts and the like - freaked out existence!

Betty, he did eventually get proper sheep dogs - although not Corgis 😐
Positive covid cases are high here too. I'm feeling pretty good now, might as well get it over with.

Larz said...

Having raised sheep as a kid, I think I might enjoy this show! As for eating lamb, that's just a name for it, like beef. And like beef (and most other meat) it's fully gorwn when killed for food. Still young, but not like... veal.

Abby said...

Larz, sheep raising takes work! I was thinking that leg of lamb my mom used to serve was much too big to be from a lamb! Veal on the other hand...
A resident at the nursing home where I used to work set me straight when I mentioned reluctance to eat sheep babies:
"Oh, we don't eat the babies. Babies don't have any meat!"

John Holton said...

Sheep are funny animals. Mary's the same way: she knits, so we never eat lamb. I did order lamb chops when we were out at a fancy restaurant, and was surprised that there was so little meat on them. Never again...

Abby said...

John, sheep do seem to live up to their reputation of just "following the herd". Cute. I've never had lamb chops. Seem to be mostly bone.

Jeanette said...

That sounds like an interesting show. I don't eat lamb or veal so I'm good there.

Abby said...

Jeanette, I've been off beef for years, but haven't been able to shun dairy. Cheese is just so darn good.

Haddock said...

Interesting. I didn't know this fact about thinking another ewe's lamb as their own.

Paula Kiger said...

Wow. Feel so much better soon.

Abby said...

Haddock, yes. They took a lamb from a ewe that had triplets, knowing the mom would shun one because she only has two teats. Once another ewe carrying just one lamb gave birth, they saved the amniotic fluid and totally dredged the triplet in it head to toe (hoof). Then they put it in front of the mom all, "here's your other baby you just gave birth to out of your own body!" and she thought it was hers. Totally worked.

Abby said...

Paula, thanks, I'm feeling better already :)

KatBouska said...

I hope you feel better soon! :(
As a general rule I do not eat lamb or veal...I need my animals to have lead a nice long life before I add salt and pepper. I watched Keep Sweet and Obey on Netflix about the fundamentalists. It really is so wrong and awful what they do to these people. Especially the kids who don't know any other different sort of life.

Astrid said...

This definitely sounds like an interesting show. I chuckled a little at your comparison between fundamentalist Mormon women and sheep. I only recently learned about the fundamentalist LDS church. I mean, I knew that polygamy used to be common among LDS people, but didn't know there's a branch of it that at least practised it until very recently.

Abby said...

Kat, I saw Keep Sweet on Netflix. Imagine being betrothed to an 80-something-year-old, and that's how you learn where babies come from. Jiminy.

Abby said...

Astrid, those FLDS communities are like something from a horror story.