Pages

Friday, May 6, 2022

mama, he's crazy

My family doesn't make a big deal on Mother's Day, per my wishes.  It's a Hallmark Holiday and doesn't meld with my nonconfornist demeanor.  I used to gift/ send notes and cards/ call my mom when she was still around, but I've told our kids that "every day is Mother's Day" for me.

That said, two memorable Mother's Days come to mind.  

My first real job - i.e. I had to pay taxes - was as a busgirl at a hotel restaurant that was popular for Sunday brunch among the locals.  I'd been working there only a few weeks when Mother's Day rolled around, and OH Migod, the bedlam. 

So many tablefuls of so many people making so many messes:  a busperson's nightmare.  The wait staff didn't like it either since it was buffet, so tips were  non-existent to miniscule.  Kitchen staff struggled to keep the buffet stocked.  The dishwasher... oh, the poor dishwasher...

That job helped my teen drinking kick into gear.  Or at least it certainly didn't hurt. Sunday brunch mimosas became rather appealing.


So these days, I'm just happy not to be working OR attending a Mother's Day brunch.


The other  - much more memorable - Mother's Day was in 2000 when I was hugely preggars with Meego.  He was 2 weeks past his due date at that point.  

I recall being in bed and kind of flopping around like a beached whale, trying to get comfy, when I felt a strange *pop* then warmth and realized my water had broke.  I laid there for a while, on my beach, and thought, "Hmmm.  Interesting", because I'd been pregnant for so long, I'd started to feel like it was going to be a forever condition.

Just as I looked over at the bedside clock, it changed to 12 midnight.  It was officially Mother's Day.  Meego arrived all "Happy Mother's Day!" a few hours later, no Hallmark card needed.

Maybe that's another reason I don't need anything special for Mother's Day.  How they gonna top that?









_________________________________________________________

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:

1. Write about a memorable Mother’s Day.


8 comments:

betty said...

Love the picture of you and your children, Abby! What a great Mother's Day gift with the arrival of Meego! The first year I became a mom we went out to eat. I think it was the last time we did so, lol, for Mother's Day. Too crowded! Hubby's brother and him would always have to get their mom an orchid corsage for Mother's Day. I think it was a tradition or something.

I'm kind of like you. I kind of downplay it a lot with the day. My mom used to say that moms should be treated special every day of the year, not just on one designated day on the calendar.

I even told my husband not to get me a Mother's Day card this year. Not that I'm playing martyr but I will like the card and then it will hang around until I recycle it. I told him chocolate would be better, lol :)

I may blog a special Mother's Day that happened in 2007.

However the day is honored for you, do have a Happy Mother's Day!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, restaurants typically get slammed for Mother's Day. Father's Days are usually just another Sunday. I'm more of an intrinsic rewards person myself, and being a mom provides plenty.

I'll watch for your '07 story!

Paula Kiger said...

I love the story of Meego's birth. Thank you for sharing!!

Abby said...

Paula, I think Meego is rather proud of himself for pulling that off.

Patty said...

Loved this, Abby!

It reminded me of when our son was born, not long after his due date but, we all know that at the end of our pregnancies, it feels like it's been forever!

That same "pop" happened to me, water-breaking followed, and the labor pains kicked-in, big time, he was almost born in the car during the hubby's 300 mph run to the hospital.

I'm with you, no card, gift or anything else can top our Mom-memories!

Abby said...

Patty, so true. Nothing matches the day-to-day.
I remember someone saying that our pregnancies last nine months instead of, say, seven because at that point, we're more than willing to put up with all that labor business.

KatBouska said...

A Mother's Day baby! It doesn't get much better than that. He's off the hook for a lifetime of Mother's Days. :)

Abby said...

Kat, yer darn tootin'!