Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2022

from empty to cuckoos nest

I had some revelations this week.  Nothing ultra profound, but the universe has spoken to me.

It has to do with work, and the details would be boring to readers. Plus I don't want to type it all out.  But this week, a certain instructor at the college - we'll call her Nurse Ratched - started throwing barbs at us in the testing center. Little passive aggressive condescending barbs.

Our staff consists of the director, one full-timer, and four part-timers.  I'm one of the part-timers.  I have never personally met Nurse Ratched nor had any dealings with her other than being a target of her dissings this week.

All of us part-timers are upset about Nurse Ratched's baseless hostility as she's provided no reasons detailing why she's laying into us.  We strongly suspect it stems from an incident between one of her students and our boss, and now she's writing all of us off.

I mentioned here once before that my boss can be somewhat annoying in that he has a tendency to talk incessantly about himself or topics of interest to him.  I was painfully trapped in a particular marathon he went on about college hockey - even after I expressed zero interest in college hockey.  

Anyway, he's very down to earth and can be okay to work with - aside from that annoying tendency.  I'd also say he's good at his job as far as dealing with facilities, software, budgets, scheduling, testing companies, etc.

His customer service skills, however...  ooch.

Luckily, he deals with customers and students very little, but there was that one recent incident with Nurse Ratched's student.  And now Nurse Ratched seems to think we're all clowns because of Boss's behavior.

This bothers me because, as I've said, I also am often annoyed with Boss's behavior, yet I  keep my mouth shut because he's Boss.  So what's happened here - I actually agree with Nurse Ratched about the incident, yet she sees me and my equally innocent coworkers (who, like me, get annoyed with Boss but say nothing) as mini Bosses.

Revelation-wise, this is telling me to speak up when I see questionable or inappropriate behavior, even when it's coming from the boss.  And just because I'm a "lowly" part-timer, my input is relevant. It's my choice to be part-time. I've sat back, biting my tongue, while higher ups make decisions that affect me.  Screw that.

Also, Happy Mother's Day to the moms out there. I rather miss being with young kids all day - so much more mature than what I deal with at work now.


6 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I always find it strange that the US have Mother's Day at a different time than the UK because I think Father's Day is the same. We had ours back in March. Anyway Happy Mother's Day to you!

I'm so pleased I don't have a boss.

ShadowRun300 said...

Happy Mother’s Day, Abby! Don’t worry - no Hallmark card from me.
That’s gotta be frustrating to be dealing with Nurse Ratched (and your annoying boss). Doesn’t seem right to be dealing with “children” in an adult workplace - but I deal with it too. I’m even starting to deal with it from some of my managers. I still love it though, and means my teaching skills (patience, especially) weren’t a complete waste.
Hang in there, and yes, definitely speak up!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Isn't that sad that the children are at work? I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Rock and Hard Place!

betty said...

I think it is good to speak up though I'm not one that usually speaks up even if I'm being walked on at work. But I say go for it if you feel comfortable doing so! For years I worked with zero interactions with fellow co-workers and minimal at best interactions with supervisors when I worked at home for a transcription company so my skill set for encounters like yours is zip/nada/nothing. Let us know though how it is going there.

I too miss being around young children. But then I don't have the stamina to be around young children like I did in the past :)

betty

Abby said...

LL Cool Joe, thanks for the Mother's Day wishes. Strange that our dates are different. And you don't even celebrate 4th of July! 😉

ShadowRun300, Happy Mother's Day back atcha! Glad you're enjoying your work despite the "children". I've felt that part of my frustration and tongue biting stem from my not being in my original field of choice - but I'm actually kind of fired up now to use my problem solving skills.

Abby said...

Peggy, well put! I'm actually hopeful that good will come of this stirring of the pot.

Betty, good points. As a tutor, I'm my own boss, and I've had really good and respectful supervisors in the past, so this is new territory. Even those high school and college kids I supervised at the nursing home were more mature than these peeps.