Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2022

Haz lo tuyo

A couple of weeks ago, a coworker, "Martha", took a vacation to Mexico.  We had a less than springlike weather forecast for the day of her return, and I texted her a heads up    ➡➡


She replied a short time later:






Well, they didn't get covid, but apparently contracted some other "bug".

Upon her return to work last week, Martha put in her notice and announced that she and her husband are moving to Mexico.  They plan to become permanent residents.

So THAT was news! I haven't really had a chance to ask her how long it took for them to make this decision.  I knew they were both close to being ready to retire, but I don't know if they'd discussed moving out of the country, or specifically to Mexico before their week long vacay.

Martha and her husband don't have kids. Both Martha's parents are deceased, and she has a "high maintenance" mother-in-law who probably motivates them to create more distance.

So they're selling their stuff, working to re-home the two dogs, and heading south.  

More power to 'em, I guess.  I'm assuming they've thought this through.  Thankfully, Martha gave a full month's notice, and hopefully Boss can fill her position soon 🤞.

And I'll miss working with Martha.  There are only six of us at the center including the boss, and she's probably my favorite to work with (don't tell the others). Laid back, good work ethic, well-organized, often brings muffins...

She was part of our recent united front against Nurse Ratched. I changed her name here to Martha so as to not confuse her with Betty the blogger.

Party Girl and I got to talking about where we would want to move to if no limitations. I never really thought about being an ex-pat. There are places I'd like to visit, but I dunno about totally pulling up stakes like Martha.  

I'm actually quite happy in Fort Collins, thanks.

More waterfowl friends


In the meantime, know someone who needs a house in Colorado? Some housewares?  Coupla dogs?  A part-time job?  Hit me up!



8 comments:

Linda Sue said...

I see zero dogs in this post...dog photos always make my day better. Martha is smart! Several folks I have known have done exactly that. It is a good choice and a better life for them. much slower and fresher.AT THE MOMENT but who knows what can happen in five minutes!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, I don't yet have permission to post photos of the pooches. Trust me, they're cute!
Martha's impending move makes a lot of sense. As you know, they won't be the first.

betty said...

Thank you for changing her name to Martha, lol :) Good luck to her and her husband! Actually for a moment a few years back hubby and me looked at moving to another country (we were looking at Malta) but then logistically we knew it would never work (the fact that my husband has 12 guitars and what he would do with them if we did move across the ocean was a big selling point for staying in the states). I have heard of lots of people who have become ex pats and actually enjoy the country they choose to make their new home in! If one wasn't tied down with family or other obligations, I would say "go for it" and have fun with the new adventure! I do feel sad that Martha's pets will have to be rehomed. I never like that part of people choosing new lifestyles. But best of luck to them!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, twelve guitars? Yep, tricky.
Other than their two dogs, Martha and her husband are in a good position to make the move. I'm excited for them.

Jeanette said...

Good for them! I hope they find good homes for their dogs.

Abby said...

Jeanette, me too. I hope they find a home where the dogs can stay together.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

What kind of human just gives up their dogs? Not people I wish to know. Adios.

Abby said...

Peggy, y'know, I felt a bit of a chill when she said they're giving up the dogs.