Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2022

cave coffee and a new addition

On Sunday, we took a drive down to lovely Longmont, CO to visit a tree farm, aptly named "The Tree Farm".  Longmont isn't particularly known as a destination to visit - mostly, I assume, because of its proximity to Boulder, which is beautiful and very expen$$$$ive. 

Personally, I haven't spent much time in Longmont, but Magnum found out about the tree farm, so we took the field trip. On our way, we stopped at a cute coffee shop: Cavegirl Coffeehouse.  It was a trendy little place with a new agey vibe to it.  I thought the surroundings were interesting, so we investigated a bit.

It was located in "Prospect New Town" of Longmont, described as "the coolest neighborhood in America".  It's cool because it's an "urbanist community" (this post is giving my quote marks key a workout).

The goal was "to build a distinctive project which would minimize negative impacts on the land" and is "an antidote to suburban sprawl".  I can get behind that.  Not a fan of sprawl, myself - one of the reasons we left Colorado Springs.  

Anyway, we got all coffeed up - I give Cavegirl 5 stars, although we only had coffee.  They had other things, mostly beverages. They claim to be 100% gluten free, and I could've gone for a bit of gluten with my coffee, but it was all good.


Then, off to the tree farm of no elaborate name. It was moist and muddy as we were there in between rainstorms. The trees and ornamentals seemed quite happy and healthy.  

We brought home this youngling Autumn Blaze Maple, and hopefully the happy healthy will remain. 

Here he is after his first night in our garage.  Violet the bicycle for scale. I use the male pronoun, but I actually have no idea the tree's gender. He could be both male and female because trees sometimes do that.

But I figured, "we will hug him and squeeze him and name him George".



George now stands, looking quite tiny, in his station in our front yard.  

Grow, George, grow.


4 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Of course i checked out the "for sale"...and HOA fees. Not sure what the draw is other than a good cup of joe. George is cute!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, I didn't even look at the for sales and HOA fees. The main draw is that people live, work, and shop all within walking distance - something gaining more appeal these days = fewer trips to the gas station. The cave girls had apartments above.
I'm looking at George now out the front window. He is cute :)

betty said...

Sounds like a neat coffee shop to explore! I always like to try out places like that! I am wishing George a long life and a rapid growth spurt!! I hope we get to see pictures of progress with him as he does grow!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, I hope to see progress too!