Pages

Monday, May 9, 2022

let's go for a ride 'til heaven comes

I don't really watch sports.  I've had a passing interest in some, but most sporting events just takes so dang long.  More time than I care enough to commit.

And then there's horse racing. I love to watch horse racing. I know some think it's inhumane.  I tend to think/ hope the horses are treated like the elite athletes that they are, bred to run fast and... enjoy it?  I confess that I just love to watch them run full out.

The triple crown races begin the first Saturday in May with the Kentucky Derby, and I've watched it every year for as long as I can remember.  I recall last year, I was working at the nursing home. The old ladies gathered 'round in their wheelchairs for refreshments, all wearing massively ridiculous hats they'd decorated the day before.  Such a hoot!

This year, I was in the comfort of my own home.  I had no idea, going in, who the favorites were or the odds. No money riding on it, I just want to watch them run.  



And omigosh, whatta race!  It wasn't until right at the wire that I learned the winner was the longest shot in the field - basically just filling in for a horse that had scratched at the last minute.  


80 to 1 odds! The jockey had never ridden in the Derby before. I can't imagine the feeling!



Anyway, I get a kick out of watching the aerial replay.  That longshot horse, so far in the back, picking them off one by one and ending up winning the whole thing.



What can I say, I get a rush from it.  If I were an old lady in a nursing home, ridiculous hat or no, that finish might have been my ticket to heaven.  


7 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

It was awesome wasn't it? I worked as a Para-mutual at a race track for a 2nd job. I've even gone to the derby 4 or 5 times. So yes, I watched it and it was thrilling!

betty said...

I heard the long shot won but I hadn't seen any footage of it! Pretty impressive from the areal view! I am getting a kick out of imagining the ladies at the nursing home getting all decked out in their "fancy" hats that they made! What a clever activity to do with them!

I love to watch horse racing too! I usually watch the Kentucky Derby but missed it somehow this year. Now I wonder what the horse's chances are for the other 2 races and will he be a Triple Crown winner?

My husband and me were talking about how much money a bet would have made with the 80 to 1 odds that the horse had. I wonder if there were any big winners in that!!

betty

Abby said...

Peggy, how cool that you've been there a few times! Maybe I'll put it on my bucket list. Get my hat and go!

Betty, who knows? Maybe he was a one-shot-wonder. Certainly nothing to lose, but what a fun story. SOMEbody had to bet on him, right?
I'm remembering fondly those old ladies and their hats. Hardly a full set of teeth between them, but they looked sharp!

Jeanette said...

Although I heard all about that win, watching the footage actually gave me chills! What an incredible win!

Abby said...

Jeanette, I know, right? Watching it at ground level, there's a point just before he makes his move to join the frontrunners. He looks to his right at the other horses as if to say, "C'mon you guys, you really want to just hang back here?" Then he's all, "oh well, see ya!"

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ah, but no hat. I was the white trash in the infield.

Abby said...

Peggy, Aha! Perfect. Sign me up!