Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

that's how they roll

Greetings on this lovely spring day.  I have the day off from work, and I'm not complaining.  I'm currently at the germ-riddled public library computer lab because I don't like being holed up at home.  I think I have the opposite of agoraphobia. 

I had a lovely bike ride here, mainly because of a tail wind.  I will b*tch all the way home when it's a head wind, so it all balances out.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was using an old GoPro that I think Wolfgang left behind, as a bicycle cam.  I usually roll video while I'm commuting to and from work in case I encounter any idiots on the road and want evidence of the idiocy - not that it's typically been a problem.  

I have bicycle commuter acquaintances who, honestly, I think are overly paranoid.  They have front view, rear view, and helmet view cams.  Seems like overkill to me - not to mention expensive and cumbersome. But for the most part, Fort Collins is pretty bike friendly with providing bike routes that avoid much motorized traffic.

Happily, my footage has all been very hum drum.  I usually erase it after I get home to make room for the next commute.  But yesterday, I came across this cute(?) vehicle on the bike path after work and decided to save this 10-second snippet of the ride.



Man, woman, and child were just tooling on down the pathway in this 4-seater, complete with canopy.  Rental?  I've never seen such a thing, but the group seemed to be enjoying their playtime, the assumed mom waving as I ding-a-linged past.




In other recreational news, one of the local PEOs I recently met decreed, "we HAVE to walk together!" when I mentioned that I lived about a mile and a half from her.  Do we?  She's assuming I'm a "walker"?

Well, she hit me up and I agreed to walk with her next Monday - after work, after walking the dogs? Honestly, I didn't feel that we "HAVE" to walk together, but I said okay. 

She has a rather strong and persistent personality, so I rolled over.  She is also quite the loud talker and is... strangely... a librarian.  But she certainly seems joyful, so what can it hurt?  Other than my ears?

Or maybe it's karma, for that library book I ruined?



4 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

oh my gosh that made me laugh out loud - she's loud, a librarian with a persistent personality. It was nice of you to go for a walk with her. It's as bad as that woman who accosted me in the grocery store to get together. Oh that was bad! I hope your walk was better than that!

Abby said...

Peggy, she really is quite loud. I thought maybe it was to accommodate some of the older ladies at the PEO meeting, but nope!

betty said...

They rent those bicycles (or whatever they are called) all over in the San Diego area for sightseeing purposes. I think we may have even rented one when taking a vacation with the kids when they were younger. A lot of fun as long as you aren't pedaling up hills :)

Wonder how your neighbor, soon to be "walking buddy" does at work with such a loud voice. Maybe she has learned how to control it there? Be careful with the walk. Hopefully she won't want it to be a habit the two of you do together. Just reading about her made me think of the coworker who quit a few weeks ago. She was loud and overly friendly. Maybe it would be good to take your GoPro with you on the walk :)

betty

Abby said...

Betty, I don't recall ever seeing one of those "quadcycles", but others have told me they've rented them. Yes, stay off the hills!

I'm wondering too how my new librarian acquaintance keeps it in check at work. I think I will shut down attempts to make regular walking a thing with her. Good idea to bring the GoPro 😆