Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2022

we are of star stuff

SOURCE
Happy Easter to my Christian friends.  And, not to be controversial, but... a  joke:

I vaguely remember getting all dressed up for Easter as a little kid.  Mine was not a regular church-going family.  Did we go to Easter services?  Which church?  Obviously, that part was not memorable.  

I assume I was sloughed off to some Sunday School/ Nursery type place during Easter service.

My grandmother was a common presence while I was growing up and quite religious. But she didn't proselytize a whole lot with us grandkids.  She was a typical lovingly gushing Grandma. I learned more about her faith after she died, and put a few dots together.

Anyway, she was a Christian Scientist, and their big holiday is Thanksgiving. But she came to our house every Sunday, and Easter was a special Sunday.  So I guess that accounted for the dressing up and (possibly?) going to church.

Following Linda Sue's lead, I managed to dig up old photo evidence of the Easter Dress Up.  As expected, why yes, my brother Guano DID look like a used car salesman.


Older brother Hagrid had, happily for him I'm sure, grown out of the dress up shenanigans by that point.  It's likely that he was the one behind the camera if he was home from college.



Either way, someone felt it necessary to get a shot which included the swingset horse.

Again, my memory is not too clear, but I would not be surprised if the me-and-a-horse shot was my idea. 

I do remember thinking that my Easter hat was the  absolute bomb.  In my mind, the hat helped to transform me into Annie Oakley.

I mean... the uncanny resemblance...

Is that the Easter bunny??



8 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Easter bunnies taste like resurrection and your hat WAS the bomb! Really cute! Annie would be flattered. Your brother was also way cute- i would buy a car from him.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, I remember the hat, the dress, and the black patent shoes. I don't remember much else. My childhood Easter was all about the fashion.

betty said...

LOL; I laughed my whole way through this post :) Your brother did look like a used car salesman. What did he eventually do for his career? I didn't realize Christian Scientists big holiday was Thanksgiving but I don't know much about that belief system.

Loved the pictures of you in your Easter finery. I remember sort of getting dressed up with the hat and the nice dress and shoes but I think a few years in the hat got ditched. I do remember getting a nice Easter dress most years. I really do not think I have any pictures of me in my Easter clothes. Now I'm even wondering if we had a camera when I was growing up as I don't think there are many pictures of me when I was growing up. Today I just wore jeans to church, my how the times have changed :)

I hope it was a nice day for you and yours! The parks were filled with families gatherings. This was the first time since the pandemic that it felt like a normal Easter. First year of course we were all told not to get near to loved ones. Last year our mayor didn't want Easter celebrations at parks so she closed all the parking lots to parks and street parking by the parks. So if you could walk to the park you could have your gathering but you couldn't park in it or near it. Love our mayor (not).

betty

Abby said...

Betty, Happy Easter! I agree that it's nice for people to be able to get out and celebrate together this year. I also think it's nice that it's not so formal.

I don't think we dressed up like this after growing out of the clothes shown. I don't really remember hunting for eggs with the family, but the story is that it took me FOREVER to find what was deemed my fair share, so maybe that's why that tradition ended too 😕.

My brother became a pilot. But come to think of it, he DID sell ME my first car (pickup)!

Ginny said...

You look adorable. I remember loving my Easter dresses. I think I had a hat or two. For sure a bonnet when I was really little.

Abby said...

Ginny, thanks, I'm sure you packed much adorableness too!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Why did our parents make such a big deal about our easter outfits? It was such a big deal at our home and my extended family. I remember the hats, the shiney shoes, the lace ankle socks. How funny. You were an absolute cutie pie!

Abby said...

Peggy, I know, right? Especially since we weren't really churchgoers. What was with all that getup??