Pages

Friday, April 22, 2022

ditch day!



Back in August, 2018, I blogged about dropping Meego off  at college - 

thus, the start of the empty nest years.  It doesn't seem THAT long ago, does it?


I wrote about:

  • how we were able to fit ourselves and all of Meego's worldly belongings (that he wanted to take with him, anyway) into our vehicle 
  • the approximately 2-hour trek to the university.  
  • meeting Meego's roommate and feeling they were a good match

I also posted this list that coincidentally showed up in my instagram feed and decided - oh goody - it would give me some things to do in my empty nest life.


Apparently, I promptly forgot about the list because it didn't ring a bell when I came across it after I looked up that old blog post.  Hmmm...

WELL, here we are, nearly 4 years later.  What has changed?  

  • The university is about 3 miles away (we moved, they didn't)
  • Meego lives in a rental house with 3 roomies and has acquired, I'm sure, lots more crap.
  • That nice freshman roommate?  Turns out he was Lord of The Drug Den, but that's another story.
  • Then there was this global pandemic...

We went to the university today as it was Engineering Days - to showcase undergraduate senior design projects.  It's also a nice way for prospective engineering students to visit and get a taste of college life for engineers.

The place was quite packed, and there were a lot of groups eagerly showcasing their hard work.  We managed to find Meego in the crowd with his Civil and Environmental Engineering group.  In short, their project had to do with modeling flow and controlling floods along "The Grand Ditch"

The team happily answered questions and provided details of what they did/designed.  A well-done project with a worthy  purpose, I say!

But really, they all seemed happily proud of their work.  And ready for graduation and beyond!

Really doesn't seem that long ago that I was one of those sleep-deprived undergrads, presenting our senior design project.


Just kidding.  THAT was a looooong time ago!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up with Mama Kat for the prompt:

4. Share a blog post you wrote years ago, what has changed?

10 comments:

betty said...

Congrats to Meego with his achievements and his upcoming graduation! What stories he'll have to tell his potential children down the road of education during the pandemic! Empty nests are hard sometimes to get used to. I appreciate the list posted of things to do if one finds themselves in an empty nest situation. First time son moved out, I cried day and night (literally) for a few weeks. Second time he moved out I shed a few tears. The third (and last time) he moved out I was like "good riddance". And then we got a dog.....so we really aren't empty nesters :)

You and your hubby raised a good kid! I know you are proud of him!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, thanks, I think I should re-acquaint myself with the list. I'm still adjusting to the empty nest and could use a solid plan. I had a hard time when each kid left home for college even though it's a blessing they did. I like your recap of your son's bon voyage(s)! 😊

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

The difference in Meego from boy to man in the above pics.. wow.
Congrats Mom, you did good.😁

Abby said...

Peggy, aw thanks. Fun to look back.

Ginny said...

Oh wow he's graduating! Congrats to Meego. I hope he's excited for what comes next. I felt like college flew by for me.

Abby said...

Ginny, thanks. Looking back, college sort of did fly by. But in the midst of it, felt like dragging sometimes!

Patty said...

How wonderful for Meego...and for all students who've come through the past few years of pandemic insanity, accomplished and ready for whatever the future brings!

But, your list? Scratch-off anything on it, or just decided to ignore it?

Abby said...

Patty, thanks, it's been an "interesting" 4 years.
As far as the list, can't say I actively decided to ignore it...

LL Cool Joe said...

Meego's turned into a handsome man, and talented too. You must be proud. It's so scary seeing our kids go from young people into adults. Makes me feel even older.

Abby said...

LL Cool Joe, true. I'll be at the university and see someone my age who isn't an instructor or other staff member and think, "what's that old person doing here?". Oh, wait...