Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2022

tech support!!

A test candidate came to the testing center where I work earlier this week.  It's been bugging me ever since.

I mean, test candidates are supposed to come in or we'd be out of our jobs, but this guy who came in - I swear I know him from somewhere.  Let's call him Walter, although his name is slightly less common than Walter - less common enough that someone with his name would be easy to remember.

I heard/ read that forgetting names is common shortly after meeting someone new, but if they have a unique name, we're more likely to remember it.  Makes sense to me.  So this Walter struck me as the only Walter I knew, but where do I know him from?

As we were interacting, before and after his exams, he also seemed to be looking at me with a bit of an I-know-you-from-somewhere look.

Okay, so here are the clues:

  • He's in his 20s
  • His test was one that we typically, but not always, give for students from the university
  • The students are usually horticulture majors
  • His face and build were familiar, but I'm seeing a younger version

And then there's this slight kicker:

  • The ID he provided was an out-of-state driver's license.

Okay, so.  Anyone figure it out for me yet??

Naturally, I first surmised that he's a friend or classmate or extracurricular-activity mate of one of our kids, considering his age.  Nothing rings a bell.  
A student from that high school I worked at briefly?  Mmmm... nope, not seeing it.
Then I thought, god forbid, maybe he was a former tutor student whom I failed  to remember.  I didn't think so, but I actually obsessively scanned through my tutor archives for any Walters or parents that might jar my memory.  Nuthin'.

Clearly, we are somehow closely linked and were abducted by aliens at some point.  When the aliens wiped our memories of the event, peripheral imagery remained in my subconscious.  

OR

Clearly there's some Vanilla Sky thing going on


OR

I've just got crappy recall.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:

2. Write a blog post about something you felt/feel frustrated by


10 comments:

John Holton said...

If it's any consolation, he didn't remember you, either. Could be a coincidence, where you have seen someone that looks like him, and maybe his name is Walter, just not the Walter you know. Does that make sense?

Abby said...

John, the thing is... who is the Walter I know?
Aliens. Must be.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Headscratcher for me Abby. Oh but this kind of thing can drive me bonkers for days. I hope you figure it out! and then of course share!

Abby said...

Peggy, I hope to be able to update when the mysterious Walter is revealed to me.

betty said...

Now this is going to be bugging me, lol, until you figure out where he came from and then you let us know :) Do you frequent any shops/restaurants that he might work at? Cashier at the grocery store? A library employee? Is it unethical to google his name and see what comes up?

Good luck trying to sort him out and do let us know when the mystery is solved.

betty

Abby said...

Betty, thanks for the tips, but it hasn't come to me yet. It's right on the tip of my brain!

LL Cool Joe said...

That's weird as this week I had a guy in to fix an outside leaking tap and he said he was convinced he'd seen me before. He asked me if I'd been on Tv. I didn't recognise him, but the whole thing was quite awkward. As he left I began to wonder if I did in fact remember him too!

Abby said...

LL Cool Joe, he must read your blog. You're famous!

KatBouska said...

Is it POSSIBLE he was a close relative or friend of yours in a previous life? ;) I obsess over that kind of stuff too and I'm sure with your history of working around so many kids there HAS to be a connection!

Patty said...

Well, if and when you ever figure this out...let us all know!

It's said that everyone has a "double"...maybe this is one of those situations. The similarities are very intense, but....

Keep thinking, Abby!!