Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2022

weekend "getaway", and what's with yer dog?

Happy first day of spring!  Spin those mattresses! Change those toothbrush heads!

It was a pretty uneventful week.  Work was on the quiet side with the students and instructors out for spring break.  Now on to the final push to finish out the semester before summer. My coworker, Party Girl, got her elderly dad moved here from Nevada.  

Her dad's losing his memory, and it's been a stressful situation for her. I know she's relieved to have made it to this milestone in the process.  And I'm glad the lightish workload allowed her some flexibility in her schedule.

Strange and sad, the dementia thing.  PG says her dad doesn't seem to really know who she is, but he has an inkling that they're related, so trusts her.  Physically, however, he's in great shape for his age - which is a worry.  He can easily walk off and get lost.  

When I worked at the nursing home, we had several residents who weren't very aware of who/where they were.  But none of them could get anywhere fast.

"Maribelle's headed for the elevator"

"Oh, okay.  I'll get her after I stock these dozens of coffee mugs..."

Magnum and I had a rip roaring outing to Denver yesterday.  Well, not really.  We actually just went to the airport to pick Meego up from a Spring Break trip he took to California.  His girlfriend moved there for work after graduating last spring, and they're making a go of the long-distance-relationship thing.  He had a good time and put me once again to itching for a vacay.  


Until then, meandering around the Denver International Airport will have to suffice.

I hadn't been to the airport - any airport - since, again, picking Meego up from a trip.  I noticed a handful of maskless people in the airport, but not many.  

However, I saw tons of people with masks only covering their chins. Why bother? 

(photo is from last time at the airport - premask days)



Wolfgang came over to let our dogs out while we were airporting.  He had a friend with him, and, not unexpectedly, Merlin had a cow.

Merlin is a sweet and loving pooch, but he reacts in full on stranger-danger protective mode when someone unknown to him comes to the house.

This is fine up until a point, but we need him to chill out once we assure him that the friend/ contract worker/ extended family member is welcome.

He's okay away from our home - tolerates the vet and the kennel - but he's a junkyard dog at home.  What does that say about the state of our home?  Oh well, I'm thinking we might enlist some professionals on this one.  



8 comments:

betty said...

I laughed out loud about the masks on the chin. It's like why even bother to wear one? And it gets me that after 2 years of this, there are still people who don't know how to wear one and have their noses exposed. I do wonder if masks are required on planes these days?

I love the airport as long as I'm not getting on a plane, lol. I love people watching :) I miss the good old days when you could go to the gate and see people come off the planes and greet them there. I loved to watch reunions of families and friends.

I wonder if you could watch some Dog Whisperer videos and if they could help you figure out how to help Merlin get over his junkyard dog attitude. He is a handsome dog though!

That is sad about your coworker's dad. I liked the term a doctor used for dementia when he said "she's pleasantly confused." I would hope if I ever suffer from dementia that I would not forget family. That would be so hard for the family that was forgotten. But lol about older people and how slow they could move. That comment about doing couple other chores before going to get the patient heading to the elevator made me laugh out loud too. I wish the coworker's dad well in his new living environment.

And why is spring break not even held in spring? Our kids here were on spring break last week too :)

betty

Abby said...

Betty, the latest is that masks are required on planes until April 18th. I also enjoy people-watching airports. It really didn't require both of us to go there, but I wanted to tag along.
"pleasantly confused" does describe the condition well. In general, the people I've known with dementia were generally happy. It was when they'd have a rare lucid moment that they became angry/ agitated.
I'll try some videos for Merlin. He's usually responsive to our cues, but this junkyard dog biz is a mystery.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

This dog is gorgeous!
Having just spent way too many hours in the airport I didn't see many without masks because they really get on you as they should. But once on the plane, below the nose. Again, it is useless. I want to go somewhere but not have to go. Got that? If I could just BE IN Hawaii and not have to fly then I'm in. BUT that dreaded airport is so peopley. I just can't do it these days.

Abby said...

Peggy, Merlin is a looker, that's how he got us to take him home. Good dog, too. We just need to get the junkyard out of him.
A lot of people say they like to "travel", but that saying is misleading. Just beam me up, please.

Linda Sue said...

I do love dogs and generally they respond very well- my grand daughter's boyfriend has a dog - bad attitude and it makes me want to lock him up!
The dementia thing, dear lord, I do not want to go there. It is the worst, losing marbles on the way out, one by one and then the entire bag spills. I am eating bad food so that my body will go before my brain- that is how smart I am!!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, Merlin is generally happy, grateful even. But SO protective. Hopefully we can break that habit.
I saw plenty of dementia while working at the nursing home - marbles dropping bit by bit. Your avoidance plan sounds good as any!

Morgan Cartwright said...

Merlin is super cute! Buster acts like that around strangers at the house, but like Merlin, outside of the house he is fine. He acts like a perfect gentleman at the vet and park.

Abby said...

Morgan, "perfect gentleman" is a good descriptor for Merlin at the vet, too. His issues are clearly territorial.