Pages

Friday, March 18, 2022

I don't need many words with you

My teammates and I showed up on time, looking sharp - almost unrecognizable.  Greg, a typical "granola" in t-shirt, rock climber pants, and hiking shoes, was decked out in his best interview suit.  

However, George was probably the most transformed.  George had a punk hairdo - whitewalls buzzed on the sides and forming a V at the nape of his neck, tufted bangs up front - and always wore hefty black boots, black t-shirt, and black jeans or shorts over his muscular build.  But there he was in his Sunday-goin'-to-meetin'-clothes

Then there was me.  I usually wore jeans, maybe a polo shirt, (now vintage) Reebok freestyle hi-tops.  But I wore a suit that day as well.  It was senior project presentation day, one of my final acts as a college undergrad.  

Greg, George, and I were good friends during that semester of our senior design project.  We actually had a fourth teammate, Steve - a pretty frat boy who was absent for most of the work. He might have been there on presentation day, but is foggy in my memory of it now.  I do remember him apologizing for not doing anything and offering to type up the report.  The remaining three of us thinking, "how's he gonna type up the report, he doesn't know what happened?"

Our project was a cute success.  We presented it, got our "A", and went on to graduate and do other cute things.

For my part, I sucked.  I was up there in my suit and realized I had not honed my presentation skills.  


I really shouldn't have been nervous.  We were just presenting to our professor and fellow classmates.  I got through it, but it was not a cute success.  Looking back, engineering classes in general at that time didn't require much discussion during classes, let alone presenting in front of class.

Afterwards, I realized that, up until that point, I really hadn't had much experience with public speaking.  It just hadn't come up other than maybe a handful of times in high school?  For some club fundraiser or such?  I certainly hadn't had any formal training.

Once I became a working girl after college, one of the first trainings I signed up for was "Effective Presentation".  The class lasted maybe a week, and there were about six of us plus the instructor.  We learned and practiced presentation skills, made and watched big honking VHS video tapes of ourselves, and got better.  Sheesh, if only I'd known in college.

Later, when I was busily volunteer momming in elementary school, I noticed lots of class presentation type activities required of the students.  I thought, "Oh, good they include this stuff in school now".  And I think it continued into middle school.  Hopefully high school too.

Seeing those kids up there, presenting compelling stories or describing a favorite possession calmed my nerves for their futures at the lectern. 

But at least I could play a mean game of Spanish Bingo!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up with Mama Kat this week for the prompt:

2. Tell us about something you never learned in school but should have.

6 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I had presentation and story telling classes per see in high school in the 70s. ONly difference to today is that no excel or power point. I am also shocked how little they learn in high school or college for prepping for resumes and interviews. I only went to a 2 yr college for what I needed but because it was career-focused we had that kind of class. When hubby was in HR he was appalled at the lack of skill they had in either one. They all told him they didn't learn that anywhere. Scary.

Abby said...

Peggy, very true regarding resume' writing, etc. My university had a "career center" for help with that, but nothing in high school. I've heard some ridiculous stories from hiring managers. I'm sure Rick has plenty.

John Holton said...

In freshman year of high school, they had us do a semester each of speech and typing. Those might have been the two most practical classes I took. Northwestern, where I went to college my first two years, is now requiring a one-quarter class in making presentations of all of its engineering students. I think they're starting to catch on that effective verbal communication is an important skill.

And as for what Peggy said about resume writing and interviewing skills: one of the reasons I stayed too long at a couple of my jobs is because I dreaded having to write a resume or submit myself to interviews. I never felt I learned the right way to write a resume, no matter how many books on the subject I read.

Abby said...

John, yep, I think presenting and writing are more common for engineering majors now. I feel okay about interviews, but yes, creating that "perfect" resume' - ugh.

betty said...

I had to look up what Spanish Bingo was :) I actually had not heard of it (or played it) before. Our local college offers Drive In Bingo (that was fun to drive by and see with the cars all parked in the parking lot, the loud speaker calling out the numbers and horns honking when someone got Bingo).

I hated public speaking in school for presentations and the like. I learned a secret though that carried me far in life lol. The teachers always asked for volunteers to go first. I always volunteered first. Two reasons. The teachers usually were more lenient grading the first because they had nothing to compare it to and second I got it over and didn't have to worry about presenting for the rest of the class and could sit back and enjoy the rest of the presentations :)

betty

Abby said...

Betty, I guess it was actually "Mexican" bingo we played my Spanish classes. Did the job for the most part.
I like your strategy for presenting. I try to do the same with my fear of heights - run until it's over.