Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

a most absorbing read

When some mishap happens (mishappens?), I usually try to look on the bright side. It can always be worse, right? 

So earlier this week, after my initial "*GASP* sh&t!", I began picturing worse things like

  • the entire cup of tea
  • milk instead of tea
  • the loaded potato...


Okay, so the thing what happened...

Tuesday, I'd just come home from work.  It had been a somewhat long day, and I'd ridden my bicycle home with a blustery headwind bullying me the whole way.  Earlier, I'd picked up a library book from the campus library that I'd put on hold and had come up available. 

Once at home, I settled in, fixed a pot of hot tea, loaded up a baked potato snack, and began perusing the library book.  The book is "The Child Is the Teacher:  A Life of Maria Montessori".  Earlier in my mom career, I'd learned a bit about the Montessori method and felt supportive of it (although, our kids all went to public school).  I'd also had a tutor student who taught at a Montessori school.  She had interesting things to share.

But I'd never learned much about Maria Montessori herself.  This book is hot off the press and popped up in my "suggestions", and I thought I'd check it out and was happy to see that the local library had recently procured a copy.

So there I was, chilling at home with some hot tea, a savory potato, and a newly published hardcover library book, of which I'm probably the first person to ever check out.  

I think I got a text notification or something like that, and I stood up, tea mug in hand, to fetch the phone.  In so doing, I managed to dribble a bit of tea.

A dribble is all it takes.

That dribble of tea splatted onto the open pristine virgin page of the book.  I didn't even notice right away, but I turned back around and saw the page all splotched, wet, and wrinkly... NOOOoooooo!

I took a napkin and hoped to sop up the wetness in time.  Alas, the wrinkly splotch remained.  Next, I took my hair dryer to it on low cycle.  Mmmm, maybe dried it off, but the damage was done.  I closed the book and put it under a box of about 5 pounds and left it overnight.


This is what it looks like now.

Pretty noticeable?  Yeah?

The wrinkled pages are noticeable when the book is closed too.


Now, if his were MY book, one that I'd purchased for myself, I'd chalk it up to clumsy and move on.  Or if it were an older, previously enjoyed, worn-and-torn library book - fine. But it's a brand new library book!  

But if I think about it... Maria Montessori would probably be okay with it.  

Principle 5: Auto education

Auto education, or self-education...This is one of the most important beliefs in the Montessori method. Montessori teachers provide the environment, the inspiration, the guidance and the encouragement for children to educate themselves.

Welp, I guess I educated myself.  I wonder if the librarian will be happy about that?


I'll remind her that, at least it wasn't the loaded potato.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
3. Write a blog post inspired by the word: accident


9 comments:

betty said...

This makes the argument for reading just on tablets and the like :) We spill something on them and it is our technology potentially ruined and not a "damaged" library book :) I wonder if they put your library books in quarantine like they did ours when the library finally reopened. The books were kept separately for 3 days then re shelved. Did you try googling to see if there was anything further you could do to remedy the situation? It does sound like an interesting book though :)

betty

BootsandBraids said...

Oh Noooo. You might get a fine. My initial thought was to iron the page, but I looked that method up and Google says not advisable iron directly on the page. BUT one site suggested put sheet of paper on top of the pages, iron through the paper. Worth a shot. Good luck!

Abby said...

Betty, yes I prefer to read on MY kindle, but this book was only available in hardcover at the library for now. I think there was a quarantine period during the early pandemic days. I'm gonna try the iron!

BootsandBraids, I googled ironing too, and I'm gonna give it a try. Fingers crossed!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

On a new book to boot. So sorry. I've done that kind of thing because 1. I'm clumsy and 2. because if it were new and not mine of course this would happen.
I don't do kindle so this would be me! I hope you're ironing works.

John Holton said...

Other than ending up in library jail for spilling a little tea on the pages, how was the book?

Abby said...

Peggy, I seem to have your same 1 and 2 energies.

John, so far, the book is living up to the favorable reviews 👍

Astrid said...

Oopsie! I remember being refused further library service by the UK's National Library for the Blind because a few volumes of a book (a Braille book usually takes up more than one volume) got lost either when I was moving or in the mail when I attempted to return them. I hope you won't be refused further service altogether. I laughed at your comment about auto education though.

Abby said...

Astrid, I damaged a library book several years ago and was fined, but was never refused services. Different state/ county, though. We'll see what happens!

KatBouska said...

CONFESS TO NOTHING! Just slip that book back into the return slot and no one will know...except for the internet. Let's hope your librarian does not frequent your blog.