Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

state, the new community?

I worked last Saturday, and we began the day by ceremoniously taking down our COVID "decorations".

It still feels weird to be a member of the unmasked at work.  Our boss really kept a tight ship regarding masking and vaccine mandates and was the first to happily delete it all.  

Of course, masking is still optional - just as before COVID, really.  But we see very few masks around campus.  One coworker continues to wear his, mainly since his 83-year-old mother lives with him.

It's nice not having muffled speech, but I notice I need to apply lip balm more frequently as my lips are no longer kept in their controlled environment.


Yesterday was Pi Day.  The math department did  Pi Day "festivities" last week since the students are on spring break this week.  I don't know what they had going on other than free personal pies from a local bakery.  I didn't get one, they were gone before one could say "3.14159265359"



I work on a community college campus, and the rumor mumblings are that it is going to change its name to "so-and-so State College".  Some other community colleges have already made this change.  The reasoning is that "community college" has evolved into a somewhat demeaning designation.

I attended a Junior college for two years prior to transferring to a university for my bachelors degree.  I'm not sure the difference between a Jr. college and a community college, but the Jr. college I attended did have dorms and sports.  I don't think community colleges have those.  Ours doesn't and I could dig deeper and find out the true differences, but I'm not really interested enough...

Instagram


Despite not having sports or homecoming or really any sort of intercollegiate competitive teams, the college does have a mascot.  He can be spotted at random places and times, doing random things. 

I've wondered what purpose a community college mascot serves? 

Maybe he can head up the committee on whether to change the name.







4 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Flipping the switch on covid makes me nervous- still wearing a mask and do not get chummy with folks in the grocery line. I don't trust this declaration- right so as UK is have9ing another surge /stacked hopsitals the "usual".
I went to a junior college AFTER university for good reason- I was bad. The junior college where I went was in northern Wyoming, dorms , a strict dorm mother- homecoming all of that- what i loved about it was the reduced size of classes and excellent teachers. Brought my grade average back up so that I could go back to University - only to drop out again...BAD GIRL!
I knew, like you, that it was PI day- that does make us smart...

Abby said...

Linda Sue, I'm cautiously optimistic about our low COVID numbers. Still quite leery of chumminess, and we continue to clean workstations like champion germaphobes.

I was grumpy about Jr. college instead of big university for those first two years after HS. But in hindsight, it was the clear better choice for the reasons you mention. Saved a ton of money too.

betty said...

He is a cute mascot! I'd love his costume in the winter; not so much in the summer! We still have all the Covid decorations at our work place. I wonder when the signs (if ever) will come down. I also wonder who had put them up as they seemed for some of them to appear overnight (probably security). I never went to college but had I gone that route, I probably would have done the junior/community college and then transferred to a university or the like.

betty

Abby said...

Betty, I lived with my parents during the jr. college years, then lived off campus when I was at the university. I never experienced dorm life, but I'm not sorry 'bout that!
It makes a lot of practical sense to start a 4-year program at a 2-year school. I'm glad I went that route, but I was a whiner for those first two years :)