Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2022

fifty ways to leave your lover

Yesterday was a c-c-c-c-cold blustery day.  Another snowy Wednesday.  For some reason, our stormy days this winter seem to have all fallen on Wednesdays.  I have Wednesdays off from work and get a little stir crazy, so I braved the elements for an outing.

I walked to one of the university bus stops, and while I was waiting, I saw a person on a bicycle crash in the snow as he turned the corner about a block away from me.  He sat there in a heap, him and his bicycle, for about a minute - which is a rather long time to sit in a heap in the snow during a snowstorm.  I wondered if he was too injured to get up?  Should I leave the relatively warm bus shelter and check?

But he eventually got up and dusted himself and the bike off and started walking and pushing the bike in my direction.  Was he unable to pedal?  Was the bike too damaged to ride? Honestly, it appeared that he was playing it up a bit, hoping someone would notice - maybe make a viral tiktok?

He shuffled on by, and stopped, seemingly to reassess, a few feet from me.  Then he got back on the bike and started pedaling down a dangerous road in a snow-covered bike lane on a day of low low visibility.  No helmet, no lights.  Okay, so I feel a bit of solidarity with him as a bicycle commuter/ don't-use-a-car-unless-I-feel-a-need person.  But common sense says leave the bicycle at home.  I'm going to assume he made it to his destination... or got that video fame he wanted.

It felt good to get out, and I'm reminded that we're long past the lockdown days of early COVID.  I had a mask as they are still required on the buses - until March 18th it seems.  



Living in a college town means that public transit is relatively good, but I know that city buses are often seen in a negative light - thugs, druggies, homeless, etc.  I've seen very few questionable characters - usually from the druggie category - in my years of observations.  Most people I've ridden with are just going to work or to school.  

Then there's the routing and scheduling.  The bus doesn't go at the right time, or the stops are too far away from home.  Again, living in a college town helps - especially if one is going to or from the university.  Many paths to that mountain.

The transportation decision tree for me usually goes:
bike→walk→bus→car
or
orange→blue→pink→green from this lovely venn diagram 
Weather being the most common factor.

So yes, I'm pro bus even though I own a car.  Why add to traffic congestion just to transport myself and a few belongings? In fact, I sort of "make" myself drive the car somewhere about once a week, just to stay in practice.


I remember the bus driver in Colorado Springs who drove the route to the community college.  I would ride there to meet with tutor students, and he took it upon himself one day to mansplain to me how to go about buying a car.  

"Yeah, I have a car.  I've bought and sold several" 😒

One of my bicycle commuting cohorts had someone offer him money for a sandwich when he was stopped at a convenience store on his way to work one day.  They assumed he was homeless/ poor since he rode a bicycle.  He makes six figures.

I'm wondering how the current rising gas prices will affect driving habits if at all.  How high until it makes a difference?


5 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Abby when i first got NYCity for my territory I used to hear co-workers who lived there say they took the bus to such and such and then caught the train and I thought, bus? So I too like those you mentioned had a stereotype in my head. But I did what the co-worker suggested and it was faster, cheaper and a much better way to get around. Or I just walked, in heels no less. I sadly have never lived in a city that was walkable. But boy I'd like to!

Linda Sue said...

Gas prices have had am impact up here already- thieves drilling through gas tanks to steal the evil...I have a full tank of gas in my car right now, It will last at least three months, if the thieves don't come. Our public transit is pathetic but doable. Changes are imminent and it will be a struggle since America is based on highways and petrol. Electric cars are selling well as are electric bikes.
Story of "that guy" really made me laugh. Derp!

Abby said...

Peggy, I've heard of people who grew up in NYC or Boston without ever owning or learning to drive a car. Sounds good to me!

Linda Sue, yes, the US is very car-centric (I grumbled to myself this morning while trudging along the sidewalk through all the road vomit thrown up from the plows). Stay safe from the thieves- yikes!

betty said...

Growing up without a car, we rode the bus or walked everywhere. Then we all got older and got jobs and cars and I can't tell you the last time I was on a city bus. It actually would scare me to be a bus driver here in Phoenix. We have the citizen app and I can't tell you how many times we get notices of fights on buses. I do admire your fortitude to bike or bus or walk and then maybe drive to get to your destination. I too am wondering how high will gas go before people start using public transportation or bike to get some place. I did hear here in Phoenix bus riding went up 53% from last February 2021 to February 2022 so that was good to hear!

I think you sent the blustery wind our way. Very windy today and cold.

betty

Abby said...

Betty, I also was excited to get my driver's license and first car and go to work, etc. Now I'm older and with the kids all grown, I like seeing how much I can do without driving. The buses here are pretty mellow, but I wouldn't want to be a driver! Ya never know.