Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2022

onboarding

"Our dreams were to have land of our own, raise a family, train them to be assassins..."

Well, uhm, okay. I watched a video about young girls who are lured online and groomed into becoming ISIS brides.  Not all are young girls or necessarily naive, although many are.  In general, they join up looking for "adventure, camaraderie, and purpose".

Aren't we all?  I was a bit amazed at how easily these kids were lured and supposedly converted to Islam, if not already members.  Many were "normal" kids - bright, active, social.  Nobody would've guessed nor could fathom "why?".  They just didn't come home one day, and their parents eventually get a text.


I watched the story while playing with my pencils and sketchbook and drew this yogini.

Yesterday, we were in the neighborhood of a Best Buy, so we went inside and I played with a Surface tablet.  I haven't felt lured and groomed into digital artplay, but that little Surface tablet was nice.  

Not cheap.  Not necessary.  I bought nothing, then came home and played with pencils and paper.  

Of course the Surface tablets support much more than just digital artwork.  Maybe when my current PC departs this life.  Maybe.


Speaking of adventure, camaraderie, and purpose, we made it through another week.  A pretty low key one at this end.  I guess "boring" can be a good thing.  In contrast with sons and daughters running off and becoming terrorists, yes, "boring" is good.




6 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Oh wow, I love love love your drawing so much! I do not understand the devices at all but paper and pencil. oh yes- paper LIFE, it has feel and smell.
Boring is a very good thing I am with you on that one! I love boring and quiet.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, thank you, and I am content with paper and pencil/ pen. Simple pleasures.

betty said...

Very nicely done with the drawing! I have heard of those young women being "recruited" for ISIS brides. I didn't know there was a documentary out about it. Must have been eye opening and interesting indeed! Got to feel for their parents when they get the text and find out their daughter's new life.

I too like quiet and boring and drama free weeks. Those are the best kind! May this week be the same for you and yours!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, the video was pretty eye-opening. Yes, very sad for parents. Thanks, the drawing was a fun activity for a winter day. Here's to boring!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I long to be bored.
We have a surface but from years gone by. It's still a great tablet/laptop. The key board that can attach died relatively quickly though and had to buy new - just a tip. Although I am certain the newer ones will be better.

Abby said...

Peggy, good to know. I'm not sure if I'm ready to make the jump from PC to tablet, but it's so cute.