Pages

Friday, March 4, 2022

face appreciation?

I just found out that today is "Employee Appreciation Day".  Well... what does that mean?  

It so happens that I have the day off from work today.  They tryna tell me something?


Actually, our boss is pretty good about showing the appreciation for us underlings.  Especially this semester, with the increased COVID requirements, some days can be a b*tch.  I don't think we've had one day go by without incident of someone being turned away for lack of proof of either vaccination or recent negative test.  

The students aren't a problem, but we also serve non-students who are unaware of the requirements.  Sure, it's spelled out in their appointment confirmation emails, but who reads that stuff??  Not everyone, it turns out.

Really, though, it's gone relatively smoothly.  Most people have been nice about it and able to come back later with the goods.  One notable exception is a guy who had an absolute hissy fit, made a bit of a scene with security, then broke a door on his way out.  His exam certification had to do with physical training, and we highly suspect a bit of roid rage was going on.  He's not allowed to come back.

Too bad for him because *HOORAY* the powers that be told us that the mandates are being lifted after next week.  No more required proof of vaccination/ negative test.  Masks won't even be required anymore.

This because our county and those of other branches of the college have moved into "low risk of community transmission".  The major state universities have already stopped their mandates this week. Case numbers and hospitalizations have significantly dropped, so time to move on.  

All good news, of course.  

But it will be weird to see the naked faces at work again...

and to be a naked face.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:

4. Write a blog post inspired by the word: stop.



9 comments:

John Holton said...

Thank heaven for the lifting of the Covid restrictions!

betty said...

Two years ago right before Covid hit I took a great job with a great company that had a promising future. They really took care of their employees. To motivate the employees, the supervisors brought around a snack cart morning and afternoon. The break room had a fancy coffee machine where you could make a lot of different flavors of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, even soup. The water in the water/ice machine tasted good. They had a great spread of a buffet lunch for employee appreciation day. And then we all got sent home to work and me being very new in the company (about a month from training to being sent home) it was too much of a stress to work at home without the in person support so I quit. So the moment you mentioned employee appreciation day, I remembered that place and how I felt appreciated :) Sorry you had the day off!

So glad your Covid restrictions are being lifted. Our mask mandate was lifted on March 1st. We have to screen ourselves daily with a machine for temps and the like with a picture taken of us with a check mark that we cleared. Wednesday, the day after the mask mandate was relinquished, I was at the kiosk doing the health screening. When it was picture taking time, I nearly jumped in fright of seeing my non masked face in the camera for the first time in months :) It is fun seeing people who were masked up now not masked and seeing facial hair on men and piercings on women. While masks are now considered optional, I have yet to see anyone still wearing one :)

Happy weekend, albeit yours may have been a 3 day one!

betty

Abby said...

John, Yessssss!

Betty, wow. I don't remember ever knowing about Employee Appreciation Day. Sorry covid messed up your appreciated position, sounds like a nice place.
We had about a month back during summer at work without masks, but then the masks came back - plus vaccine mandate. Hopefully this "face time" sticks.

ShadowRun300 said...

I’ve been waiting for this moment for far too long. Tomorrow, those of us who want, can go mask free! And believe me, I want. It’ll be so nice not to see shields at the desk and to see the naked faces of my hotel team.
All marred by what’s going on in Ukraine though. Sigh.
Hope your temperatures begin warming soon! March seems to be that turning point for us. Maybe Magnum will bring home some of the warmth from his trip.

Abby said...

SR300, yep the patience has been wearing thin. I was never comfortable asking people to show me proof of vaccination or negative test. Enjoy the free faces!

LL Cool Joe said...

Yes all our restrictions have been lifted too, although cases have gone up slightly because of it. I'm still not really comfortable going out without a mask but really feel like the odd one out now when I do wear one.

Abby said...

LL Cool Joe, it feels a bit weird at times to be maskless, but not as weird as I thought. Masks will be optional at the college after this week, so we'll see how that goes.

Patty Sparano said...

Masks have been disappearing, slowly, from where I live. Of course, those with compromised immune systems still venture out wearing the facial protection.

I've found mixed responses while out in public where the mask mandate isn't enforced...some people give nasty looks at those un-masked individuals, others just breeze up and down store aisles with a big grin.

But, I still keep masks handy, just in case, ready to hide behind one and stick my tongue out at the world...privately!

KatBouska said...

You mean to tell me that someone was throwing an adult hissy fit and you didn't film it for tictok? I thought that was a requirement these days! It will be so nice not to have to enforce those extra steps. I'm sure it will make your job a heck of a lot easier! The mandates are lifting in our area too and I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that we don't backtrack!!