Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2022

camp kids, old people, and yardsticks

This gif was included in a monthly newsletter from the university, and I found it cute and hilarious.  

Those who have seen the movie, The Disaster Artist get the reference.  For those who have NOT seen it, I recommend.

The movie is weird.  And true.  And weird that it's true.

Yeah, so February is nearly over.  Days are noticeably longer, and I'm pretty happy with the balance of day to night right now.  I like a decent share of darkness, but  not too much.

And just as COVID seems to be abating, Russia goes and invades Ukraine.  Magnum was convinced it wouldn't happen because, "Putin isn't that stupid".  Welp...

But sticking with regular programming of goings on in my limited world, we went to an RV show yesterday.  No, we won't be getting an RV, it was mainly something to do on a Saturday afternoon after  a week of cold cold temperatures and resultant cabin fever.

So we looked at a few RVs but mainly people-watched.  All of the RVs on display were pull-beind trailer types.  IF we were ever to get any sort of RV, it would likely be a van that we customize.  No trailers.  There was this cute doggie trailer hanging out with the land barges.


Having been to an RV show a few years ago (again, just for the heck of it), we were not surprised by people walking around with yard sticks.  Apparently, serious RV shoppers walk around with yard sticks.  

We did not bring a yard stick.  We don't even own a yard stick.  



Not a bad way to kill a couple of hours, and I actually did have to visit my boyfriend, John Elway.

Eventually, the Country Western music wafting through the event center reached a saturation point, and we said our farewells to the RVs.  

Many of the campers were sold during the event, so I guess people actually purchase these things.  I think the industry has been hit, like others, with supply chain delays, so buyers were probably hot for ready RVs they could actually see and touch.


That was pretty much the good week.  Magnum was out of town for work.  He always manages these work trips to the warm places when we have crap winter weather.  Hadn't traveled since pre-covid.  Then he boards a plane, and *BAM*, single digit temperatures for days.  

I'm ready to say, "Oh, hi March".



9 comments:

John Holton said...

You and Elway look pretty good together...

Linda Sue said...

Get that pretty little nose away from the cardboard arm pit- he does not look like he has ever seen a bar of cardboard soap. The doggie trailer is so adorable- i would have it on that merit alone.
I have not seen the movie and have put it on my list- when it is free I will be the first to tune in. Cheap much? Yes, yes I am.

Linda Sue said...

I could have seen "The Room" in London last time I was there- but I passed on that opportunity. It was after my bedtime, you understand.

Abby said...

John, I figured I should go to the show since John was there specifically to see me.

Linda Sue, I fully understand passing on "The Room" after bedtime. After watching "The Disaster Artist", I was curious to see "The Room", and watched a shortened version of it on youtube. Don't think I'd sit through the whole awful thing.

betty said...

I didn't recognize John Elway, lol. I thought it was some country western singer :) (I need to get out more). That doggy trailer was just too darn cute!

I remember going yearly to the state fair when I was growing up in the San Diego area and at the trade show building every company was giving out yardsticks for their promotions. We had a lot of yardsticks growing up and in the early years of marriage. Now we have none and actually needed one to measure something the other month. Had to use one of those retractable tape measures.

Hubby and me idly talk about getting an RV and traveling around in it but talk is cheap and certainly less expensive than an RV. Hubby's parents had RVs and enjoyed them very much. I don't think I could ever drive one myself.

Hoping spring is around the corner in March! It is supposed to be 87 degrees here on Wednesday. I'm so looking forward to it!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, Ha, I'll tell John you said that ;)
You're right, I remember now how businesses would give out yard sticks as promotional items. Seems strange now.
Some people love the RV life, but it's not for me. Although a road trip to Arizona sounds good right now!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Why the yardsticks I wonder? That is an expensive way to blow an afternoon. the RV shows we've been to cost $35 each to get in. I'm too cheap to spend the money to just browse.😛 You and your boyfriend look good together. lol

Abby said...

Peggy, I also wonder about the yardsticks. I assume there are specific 3 ft. measurements that are important for RVs? Strange, the yardsticks instead of tape measures.
This show was free, which was a bit surprising. We wouldn't have gone otherwise. I mainly wanted to see the events center, I'd never been to that venue. Plus... as I've said. John came all the way just to see me :P

LL Cool Joe said...

Yeah my partner is the same. I've been stuck in freezing cold weather here in the UK whilst whilst my partner was swanning around in Miami, and the Virgin Islands. The joys of running a travel company.