Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2022

to feel all right okay

Back to work this week.  Nice to see my little team of coworkers (four of us plus a boss). Naturally, they were sympathetic about Hagrid's home.  Boss has a step-niece who was evacuated with her family, but their home was undamaged.  They weren't able to move back in yet since utilities were all turned off, but they've been back to look around.

They've got young kids who will have to be "prepared" before they return to what's left of  the neighborhood.  "Like another planet".

But we're back at the college for the new year.  Student's return for Spring semester on the 18th, so campus is pretty quiet.  

We've begun checking people's COVID status - fully vaccinated or recently testing negative - for access to the testing center.

I'm basically a bouncer.  Who'da thought?


We got a lot of snow, which has pulled us out of our drought for now.  We've entered the crusty yucky freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw-freeze phase from which Napolion likes to meditate.


He used to go outside each day and find things to kill or get in fights with.  Now he's strictly a housecat (not by his choice).  I wonder what he thinks as he sits on his window perch.  

Similarly meditative, y'know my young coworker friend, Malcolm, who died unexpectedly last year - he'd mentioned he liked to rap.  But whenever we asked him to lay some lyrics on us, he never would.  This week, I was led to a site where he'd uploaded some tracks.  Several tracks, actually.  More than 50 tracks over the span of about a year.  I had no idea he was so creatively prolific.

Now, I actually like some rap/ hip hop, which might surprise some.  There are also rap songs/ artists I can't stand.  I really like Malcolm's material.  And how nice to hear his voice again.

So 2022 has begun.  I don't have any resolutions, just the usual "get better".  Kaizen, yo?



6 comments:

betty said...

I had not heard of Kaizen, but I did read the article. I like the concept. I'm glad you got to hear Malcolm's voice again, albeit on recordings, and that you enjoyed his talents with his raps. It is nice that is left behind for his friends/family to have to remember him by (not that they need that to remember his by, I'm sure there are lots of ways they remember him). So, a bouncer. Bet you never saw that happening over your professional career! Did they teach you how to look for fake vaccination records? Let's hope everyone who comes into the testing center are responsible adults and have the right paperwork with them or the right negative testing and you don't have to kick anyone out!

betty

Abby said...

Betty, I don't expect many confrontations over COVID protocols like we see shared online from grocery stores and such. Either way, campus security is right outside our door :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I have never lived where it didn't snow. This is my first year. It's odd but I must admit I like it. But then there are days I miss it and then I see I-95 where I used to live in a snowy nightmare for 30 hrs and I think, No, I'm good. 😃

Abby said...

Peggy, I was whining about the lack of moisture, now I'm whining about the mess and ice. I'll need to remind myself of those stranded people on I-95. I'm good.

Morgan Cartwright said...

What a nice surprise to find 50 tracks! Rap and Hip hop are fun to listen to (especially the 90s ones)

Abby said...

Morgan, yeah like finding a little treasure :)