Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2022

everything is nothing

I got a COVID booster today.  Scheduled it for about an hour before work (it was the only appointment available for today), got to the pharmacy a little early, efficiently received the shot, bought a sammich for later.  Now I'm at the college hanging out in the library with some time to kill before work.  

I'm wearing the sweater set my coworker handed down to me a couple months ago (1) because the inner layer is sleeveless, thus making for easy vaccination reception, and (2) because she's been throwing hints at me that say, "When you gone wear that sweater set I gave you?"

Her lament, when she bestowed me with the set, was that she'd hardly worn it, thinking she'd preserve it for special occasions (it's cashmere).  Then, she got too big for it and couldn't wear it if she'd wanted to. 

So, here I sit - special occasion being getting a vaccination before going into my very casual attire job.  

Earlier this week, the same coworker bestowed upon me a leather jacket under similar circumstance - she got too big for it.

Conversation went something like this:

Coworker (wearing new Christmas leather jacket):  I was looking at my old leather jacket this one replaced.  Do you want it?

Me:  Do I want a leather jacket??

Coworker:  Yes it's... *proceeds to describe it, but truth is, she had me at 'leather jacket'*


Me:  Is this a trick question?

After quibbling about payment, in the end, I got a new-to-me leather jacket.  Hardly worn.

Once again this coworker (she really needs a nickname...) had an accompanying story lesson based on true events.  It goes something like this:

There was an old woman who'd grown up poor.
Later in life, she was no longer poor.

She had a tired old purse she'd carried around for years.
Friends and family, near and far, gifted her several nice purses, satchels, totes.

She thanked the giver profusely every time she received another bag.
When she died, her family found her closet full of these nice things 
...still in the original packaging, unused.

Waiting for a special occasion.  That may never come.

Lesson:  I better wear the cashmere and leather, or coworker's gonna give me crap about it. 


5 comments:

betty said...

You look great in the picture! Hope you don't have any side effects from the booster. Now we need to see a picture of you in the leather jacket. Perhaps your coworker needs to watch what she eats a bit more so that she doesn't have to pass/sell her clothes on for getting too big for them? Now I have to go and look in my closet and see if I have anything I haven't been using and have been saving for a special occasion. Probably not though :)

betty

LL Cool Joe said...

That meme is so true, I'm always so careful to try and look good when I go out because the one time I don't will be when I meet an old flame I haven't seen for 20 years.

Glad you got your booster. I got mine last November and still managed to get Covid last week in the States. Feeling better now but wasn't pleasant.

Abby said...

Betty, so far the only side effect of the booster is a sore arm.
My friend isn't necessarily "fat", but she's classic apple shape, so when she put on weight, it all went to her waistline and up. It doesn't seem to really bother her, though. She just buys more clothes.

LL Cool Joe, I'm glad you're feeling better. Some say, "we're all gonna get it eventually". It's been nearly a year since my first round, so I figured I'd get a boost before the college kids return next week.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Okay that meme is 100% accurate!

How great a leather jacket and a cashmere sweater set.
Good Luck with the booster! And thanks for getting one!!

Abby said...

Peggy, the meme - it's the Murphy's Law of Fashion!
No yucky side effects from the booster. Just a sore arm and "Jelly armpit" like I got from my flu shot. That means it's working, right?