Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2021

to hug or not to hug

It's been a minute since I visited my space here.  I decided to open up my tutoring biz for a little side gig income streaming, and it didn't take long for the requests to trickle in.  I took on three students before closing the request door again.  Nice kids, all.  Two local seniors, one online junior.  Keeping me maybe a little too busy.

One of the locals, I'm pretty sure, has ADHD.  "Slow down and focus, Betty.  FoCUs!" (her name's not Betty).  I've had ADHD tutees before, and they are a challenge.  Helps me sympathize and appreciate not having that particular disorder.



But I do enjoy the work and was worried about my brain turning mushy from not doing it.  Now that COVID restrictions aren't so limiting, I like having the option of meeting in-person again.  

I don't go to people's homes and instead meet locals at libraries or such.  WAAAY back when I first started tutoring for a test prep company, we were advised against tutoring in homes.  If we did go to a student's house, a "responsible adult" had to be present because there are scammers/ opportunists who might claim something happened that never did.

Personally, I think students typically do better if they have to get their stuff together, get properly dressed, and leave the house to meet.  Even meeting online isn't so bad since they need to have their materials ready in one spot and login to an account.

So scammers and opportunists aside, the handful of times I did go to someone's home, I quickly grew tired of students who didn't have their stuff ready, who'd maybe just crawled out of bed, sat eating a meal or snack during tutoring, interacted with their pets... yeah, no.  Not doing it.

One of my coworkers has also worked as an adjunct instructor at the college.  He told me about a female student who once came to him in tears, asking if she could do a make up of a test she'd missed. With broken sentences she explained having "a lot going on right now", and feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all.

He told me he interrupted her speech and just gave her a hug "because she really seemed to need one".

And I was thinking, "Ooooh, Steve, nooooo".  

I get that she probably did need a hug, but not from her college instructor?  Her older male college instructor?  

So it got me thinking.  I wouldn't hug a high schooler, but I have had college students who were grown ass adults and nearly my age and almost on "friend" terms.  Hugs though?  Female student maybe, men, hmmm, no.  

Steve thinks it was the right thing, so maybe it was.  Every situation is different.  Steve also says he has ADHD.  

Oh, look, a squirrel!


  

6 comments:

BootsandBraids said...

Steve was lucky that hug didn't backfire. Sad to have to hold back our instincts to reach out, do the right thing, when people are hurting, but hugs are waaay to risky. Keep it in the family. Of course, thanks to the pandemic, it's now bumping elbows or feet.

Linda Sue said...

i caught myself in a hug the other day and found it difficult to let go. The other person kept stopping "that's enough" but I had a death grip. I am not a teacher, he was not a student - it was awkward just the same. I am socially not apt.
I can imagine ADhd students, I have that propensity myself.

Abby said...

BootsandBraids, I think Steve got away with that one too. He'll think twice if there's a next time. And I have bumped elbows, but have yet to bump feet!

Linda Sue, I like a good hug now and then, but some don't like them. I've hugged coworkers - most recently, "bonding" over Malcolm - but hugging students feels wrong.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

okay now Abby that last line made me say HA out loud and Rick came to the room thinking something happened. Too damn funny. I too would have instinctively hugged but then would have freaked out while hugging thinking this can go terribly wrong and back away feeling bad. It just sucks to have to think litigiously all the time, isn't it? We can't be human anymore we must always be worried about how you will be perceived. I don't care for that world that we are now required to live in.

Abby said...

Peggy, I'm sure (95%) Steve didn't intend anything inappropriate with that hug, but yeah, it was risky.
Having known a few ADHDers, a couple of them tutees and a couple of coworkers, I'm thankful for chill!

LL Cool Joe said...

I don't offer hugs and therefore never get them in return. :D