Pages

Monday, July 19, 2021

out of the clear blur

In other news of getting-caught-up-on-the-health-checks, I went in for my eye exam this morning.  Remember I was whining about dealing with my transition lenses while using computer screens at work?  Thought I might get separate prescriptions for work and "play"?

Well, bottom line, I'm going with the one-size-fits-all once more.  But first, here's the cute bike rack at the eyecare place:

See it?  Eyeglass frames? *snort*.  It's actually not the greatest design for a bike rack, but it gets cutesy points.  Plus, since I was the only one needing to use it at the time, no worries.  

I really didn't want to pay for have  two different pairs of glasses, and the eye doc did note that my distance vision has actually improved since last time, so my current glasses are too strong, hence my woes.  My new glasses will have adjusted "lines of transition" to give me more area for screen viewing.  So they say.

While the optometrist was calculating my inflated eyeglass costs, he asked if I had to go to work after my appointment today.  I told him I had today off and my exciting plans included taking my car in for some maintenance.

"Oh, you're adulting!", he congratulated me.  

Yeah, okay, adulting it was.  After dropping the car off at the shop, I snapped a few pics of my adulting:


I took a ride with the lovely Violet and stopped for some much needed shade time at the University trial gardens.  


As always, a few people were also enjoying an afternoon among the flowers.  Less than a mile away, police were investigating a fatal shooting at a McDonalds, but I strove to push that to the back of my brain for the time being.

There was a small group of kids, I'd say they were 10 or 11 years old, playing off to the side of the flower pots.  From their matching t-shirts, I deduced they were part of a day camp of some sort.  They had water wands and began spraying each other.  But soon, the boys broke off and began using the wands like swords or light sabers while the girls ignored them and sat in the shade chatting with the older 20-something girls who seemed to be in charge.  



When I was that age, I hung out mostly with boys as that was all my neighborhood consisted of - other than myself.  I'm sure I would've stayed in the water fight.




Now I'm just the geeky "kid" off by herself doodlin'.











4 comments:

betty said...

I like doodling myself :) Wow, what a nice surprise to find your eyes were doing better! I usually always here they are getting worse lol. The glasses do cost an arm and a leg but we definitely need those extra "eyes" to help us see! I did see the design on the bike rack at the optometrist. Cute! I agree, I would rather go for a water fight, especially on a warm summer day!

betty

BootsandBraids said...

"Adulting" ... I'll be using that term in future.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I can't wait to hear how you deal with the new glasses. I had the 2 pairs of glasses. I would leave the office with the ones for computer and reading and get downstairs and realize I need my other glasses and vice versa it was a pain in the arse. I got progressive and I hate them. I have an eye dr appointment in august and I am going to ask for some help yet again. I do not like the 3 site ranges. I am forever trying to find what I need and I look like I might need to ride the short bus. :-)

Abby said...

Betty, I had a feeling my current prescription was too strong, so it was nice to have it verified.

BandB, not to be confused with "adultery" :)

Peggy, fingers crossed for the new specs. My current ones are okay, but I can only tip my head so much. I think I have about a month's grace period to nope out of the new lenses.