Pages

Monday, July 5, 2021

not to be blunt...

I walked into the room for a little information gathering.  Back in high school, I don't remember what year it was.  I grew up in a small town, but our high school still had a handful of extracurricular clubs and activities.  Horticulture club was meeting for the first time of the school year - prospective members were urged to attend.

I had a passing interest in horticulture although I hadn't done much "gardening" myself.  My mom had quite a green thumb and kept various plants in a sunny section of the house as well as maintained some outdoor foliage.  I could remember going to the local greenhouse with her as a kid and finding it an interesting place.

So I thought, "Hmm, horticulture club.  That could be fun - learn some plant biology, soil chemistry, greenhousing..."

I'd stopped by the after-school meeting, mostly on a whim.  As such, I was by myself as opposed to part of a group like most things in high school.  I was a bit surprised to see I hardly knew anyone there.  I mean, it was a small town, so I knew of the other kids there, but none of them were in any of my circles.  In fact, I was surprised at the attendees, they weren't the kids who usually joined clubs.

"Interesting", I thought to myself, "all the kids here are known stoners.  Wonder why they're in the horticu... OH!"


DUH.  Here I went into it thinking "science" as opposed to "grow-your-own-weed".  Nerd alert!

Suffice to say, I didn't join the high school horticulture club, and that marked the end of my horticultural education.

Last week, a coworker told me about a large greenhouse operation in the area.  She owns a rental property and does all the landscaping and visits the business often.  Magnum and I went on a little field trip on Saturday to check the place out.  


It was huge and impressive and rekindled my adolescent interest in horticulture as well as my wanting to do "something" with our boring yard space.  

We managed not to purchase anything, just scouted out the place to get some ideas.  I learned that the university here offers a gardening extension program specific to Colorado conditions.  It's part of a program available in all 50 states, and I'm planning to sign up.  

Now, 30+ years after my short foray into horticulture, recreational pot is legal here.  I could learn how to grow a decent crop of my own...

don't bet on that bud.



5 comments:

Linda Sue said...

really glad that medicinal pot is a thing, it is helpful for many. Personally I can not do recreational pot- never liked it much , I just got dumber- same with whiskey. I am a wimp. BUT i am so glad it is off of the list of booga boos. it is the thing that keeps my friend from committing suicide from pain. so...is good!
Hemp can be used for just about everything that plastic is used for, another good thing. Horticulture- a mighty good thing.

Linda Sue said...

Blunt, hahaha, clever girl

betty said...

There is big money (or was, can't keep up with the trends) of investing in marijuana crops.

I have a very brown thumb. Not much grows (even weeds) if I'm around :) Maybe its a good thing I currently live in a desert :)

betty

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ah, that blunt. :-) You clever little shit!
I LOVE gardening and would love a horticulture class.
I have learned the hard way, plant, they die, what did I do wrong kind of thing.
We rented a couple of pea pods when we lived in Seattle. There was daylight in the summer until 11p so it was great. It was behind our apartment so it was so convenient and we rented 2 pods. We planted all things we like in stir fry, snap peas, broccoli etc. Others grew flowers. It was a great learning experience for me because some of the other "renters of pods" would offer their advice, tips or how they failed miserably so you don't do the same thing. It's fun. Nothing better than your own food and flowers pot!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, right, I won't be growing or smoking pot, but I'm glad that others can do it legally. (and we get some tax revenue!)

betty, I don't use any marijuana parts myself, but it does seem to be a good investment these days. I can grow weeds quite well - it's a start!

Peggy, oh you'd fit right in! We hope to put in a (dog proof) garden soon. Right now, our yard is mostly "ecological dead space" aka grass.