Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2021

pancake kabobs, chicken 'n' waffles, and a masterpiece

 Despite the fact that I wasn't scheduled for work until 11am and Magnum works from home, we both joined early in the fray of what is Bike-to-Work Day in Fort Collins.  Yeesh, the town gets into it!


Bacon?



There were over fifty stations, scattered all around town, at which to stop and get freebies - water bottles, bags, food...  


SO MUCH food! Seriously, if one were to pedal every route and partake of free food wherever it was offered, they would easily be in calorie surplus.


It was a beautiful morning for it - coolish and slightly overcast.  We only made a few stops, but learned of a few other businesses around town, and it was just fun being part of the circus.





Some friendly dog groomers offered these cute and tasty pancake kabobs along with other treats.  


We saw quite  few people pull up to various stations with those little trailers in tow.  Breakfast on the road today, kids!


It's not a requirement to actually be biking to work for Bike-to-Work day.  




Heading home, Magnum wanted to stop at Music City Hot Chicken for their BTW day chicken and waffles, which I could've taken or left.  But I said, okay, why not?  

Glad we did, because shortly after pulling up, some dude pulled along side me all, "What's fer breakfast?"  

It was Wolfgang.  Said Music City Hot Chicken was his favorite stop on BTW day.  He had about an hour before he had to be into work, and was going to hit a few more stops


Magnum and I really did head home at that point, but I wanted to make one more stop.  On our way out, we saw an opportunistic little kid selling his artwork by the trail.  I had to check it out!


He was the cutest little guy, around six-years-old I'd guess.  He had various drawings in plastic sleeves within a binder titled,

"Cormacs Artwork"

By the time we stopped, he had a good amount of cash in his till.  Not a bad haul for a couple hours hanging out by the bike path!

I assume he lives nearby, there was no adult there with him that I could see.  I also noticed that he didn't have a bicycle at his "shop" even though he wore a bike helmet.

He probably wore the helmet to create instant rapport.  Smartie pants!

My favorite souvenir from my first Bike-to-Work day:


One dollar.  An absolute steal.





5 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Brilliant kid!!

betty said...

Enterprising child! I would have bought more than one drawing! Looks like such a fun event, anything with food always gets my attention!

betty

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

A little entrepreneur in the making.
Sounds and looks like a fun day!
pancakes on a skewer is inventive. I am not a pancake fan because I worked at Perkins Pancake house as a teenager. I ate so many I just can't. But such a cool idea for kids especially.

Herb said...

Made me think of One Big Happy and Good Art Drawed by Ruthie.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, hopefully he stays brilliant!

betty, I might have bought more, but it was kinda slim pickings when we got there, and I didn't want to totally clean him out. He'd sold a lot!

Peggy, I'd never had a pancake kabob and also felt it was a cute idea. The kids we saw seemed to be having fun. If they move away, I bet they'll be disappointed in other Bike-to-Work days!