Pages

Friday, May 28, 2021

make the cold nights feel like summer days


Back in late February, I got a LinkedIn notification about  a job opening.  It sounded like something I might like to do, and I felt qualified, so I went ahead and completed an application.  Other than the automated acknowledgement that they'd received my materials, etc., I never heard anything from them.

...until a couple of weeks ago.  Seemingly "out of the blue", I got a phone call.  The hiring manager was  personable, explained the nature of the job a bit more, asked if I was still interested and if so, would I come in for an interview?

Yeah... sure... okay... despite the fact that I'd just taken on a promotion at the old folks job.  



Long story short, I've given my notice at the old folks home and start the new gig on Tuesday.  I'll be working in the testing center at the local community college - coordinating activities for various standardized tests and academic exams.  My inner test nerd is happy, and it fits well with my tutoring experience.

Although the job was posted over three months ago, they'd halted hiring until the campus had their COVID policies more solidified, which apparently has happened.  So, I'm thankful and looking forward.

In the meantime, it's been a bit of a bumpy ride lately at the nursing facility.  Short staffing (remember me fretting about this as it loomed on the horizon??) has made for grumpy conditions, and it's difficult to get applicants right now.  Our chef has seemed rather cold to me this week, but he has the right.  He was away on a much needed vacation last week.  Upon his return, he was met with

  • a cook who quit and didn't complete his 2-weeks notice because the new job offered him a fat bonus to start right away.
  • I put in my notice.
  • various dietary aides are quitting or wanting long vacations since school just got out.

and last, but certainly not least:

I've enjoyed my time there, but really, it feels a bit like getting in the lifeboat of a sinking ship.  I don't know what upper management is doing to increase staffing as there's a lot of competition for workers right now.  Plus, I've said it here before:  I've learned that geriatrics isn't really my bag.  

A coworker friend who will likely take my position asked why I decided to take the new offer.

"Better pay, better schedule, more along the lines of my interests... Other than that, I dunno 😉"

Self care.  It's a good thing.  Speaking of which, I was enjoying a lovely morning bike ride earlier this week and came upon some dear deer just hanging out.



Such rides sure beat the slush fest from a couple weeks ago.

Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts and words regarding Malcolm.  There was a well-attended celebration of life at his neighborhood cul de sac last weekend, but it still seems unreal at times.  

----------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with MamaKat for the prompt:

5. Summer is coming! What are you most looking forward to?


5 comments:

Linda Sue said...

So glad to hear of your new job!! Excellent. Things are looking up! The country side looks spring green- so pretty.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

The job sounds like a perfect fit! Congrats and I hope your 2 week notice will go by quickly and without drama!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, thanks and yes, it is strangely green around here from lots of recent precipitation. It'll be brown soon enough!

Peggy, thank you, I have four old folks shifts left, but who's counting? "Remain drama free" will be my mantra!

Anita said...

I'm enjoying your "livelihood" updates! :)

Abby said...

Anita, thanks. Loving the new job so far :)