Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2021

he doesn't know how much he cost

Catch the Kentucky Derby yesterday?  I love to watch  horse racing.  For one, it doesn't take hours like most sports.  A good horse race lasts about 2 minutes. But really, I just love to watch those animals running full out, trained athletes that they are.

The Kentucky Derby is the first of the triple crown races.  I didn't know a thing about any of the horses and just listened to the commentary while watching them emerge from the paddock.  The ultimate and unexpected winner, Medina Spirit, had 12-1 odds.  



After the race, trainer Bob Baffert was all praise for the "little horse" and quipped, "He doesn't know how much he cost".  We went on to learn that he was initially sold for $1,000.  

WHAAAAAT?  Did I hear that right?  I have a bicycle that cost more than that Kentucky Derby winner?!

But Medina Spirit apparently became known for his competitive spirit.  His current owner purchased him for $35,000 which is still super cheap for a race horse.  

I could see that competitive spirit referred to.  Coming down the final stretch, it looked like the bigger horses would pass him, but you could almost hear him say, "Not today, boys!"

Thanks for the show, little guy.



3 comments:

Linda Sue said...

so much heart! That little horse!
I have mixed emo's about horse racing having worked on training ranches and knowing what goes on in that world. Humans are horrid, big news!!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I tuned in 5 minutes before the race. Having been to the Derby 3 x now and having worked at a race track I rather enjoy it until I think about the animals.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, I do consider it a "guilty" pleasure and hope the horses live the good life after their racing days are over.

Peggy, you've been to three more Derbies than I have! Someday.