Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

ya dig?

I woke up this morning thinking of things I would do today.  Then I remembered I could barely make it out of the neighborhood.  Feels like COVID lockdown all over again.

It finally stopped snowing Sunday evening, but, ugh, what a mess.  I remember thinking, last Friday when we were anticipating the storm, that in a week's time, it would all be gone.

Gonna need to rethink that one.

I went out yesterday afternoon to clear more snow.  A guy was at the adjacent house doing the same, digging out his Volvo.

"It never ends, does it?", I said by way of small talk

"Yeah", he acknowledged.  And then, "This is my first snowstorm."

Omigosh, his first snowstorm was a 2-footer?! 

He's from California, visiting our neighbors.  Southern California, I take it.  But he said he was having fun playing in the snow.  He was planning on starting the drive back today, but doesn't know if he can get out.

And I was thinking sunny California sounds wonderful right now.

Magnum and I ventured out for a little reconnaissance trek yesterday.  We eventually made it to a nearby walking/bike path.  Some cross country skiers had blazed a nice little trail for relatively easy footing.  I could really use some snowshoes about now.


I do love Colorado, though.  And I love having four seasons.  Some people around here are ranting about the lack of snow removal from the city.  They compare it to the amazing snow removal in the mountain towns.  

Thing is, we don't typically get storms this big.  Plus the mountain towns don't have nearly as many miles of roadways, sidewalks, paths, etc.  We're not equipped.  Our main roads are "clean enough" for the most part, but residential streets are far down the list of priority.  It's up to the big trucks to blaze a trail for smaller trucks until eventually the little people can get out with some help from the sun.  Volvo guy will probably have to wait.

We lived in the Ogden Valley of Utah during the early 2000's.  There were 3 nearby ski resorts, and snow removal was incredible.  Ski resorts don't make money if people can't get to them.  Despite major dumpings of snow each winter, our kids never knew what a school snow day was until we moved to Colorado Springs.

The first time it happened, they awoke for school and I told them school was cancelled.

"What?  Yeah right.", and they proceeded to get ready for school, thinking I was joking.

"No really.  There's too much snow.  School's closed"

They ignored me, had never heard anything so ludicrous.  Why would I be so mean as to tease them like that?  I eventually convinced them and, thus, the snow day was born to them.  Good times.

All this snow makes me think I'd rather be in a resort town now.  I'd rather be skiing.  I'm pretty awful at skiing, but still...


4 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

After back surgeries, I was advised to only cross country ski so that is what I did. No one wanted to do it with me because they all claimed it was too much exercise. So I joined clubs. I absolutely loved cross-country skiing. On my birthday one year living in Seattle, we washed my car in shorts, then drove to the mountains and cc skiing. Rick doing so under duress. He prefers downhill but it was my birthday. Ever see 6'2" 230lb man fall? It's funny. I didn't ski as much as help him move, get up and move forward. Now no snow for me and I admit I do miss it but prefer the warmer climate.

Abby said...

Peggy, I also enjoy cross country skiing. It's like hiking, but in a snowscape. Plus it's a lot less expensive than downhill.
We had cc skis, boots, poles, but sold them a few years ago since we didn't use them that much. Wish I had them this week!

Linda Sue said...

I watched the storm move through, and dump ! Cheyenne , typical, wind that blows the snow sideways. Supposed to be tropical by the end of the week. I dunno....

Tee said...

That is just TOO much snow! Where I live, we were on the edge of the storm, but lucked out. Just a bit south of us, there was two plus feet of snow. Here? A few inches. It almost seemed unfair. We normally get at least a couple of significant snowfalls, but winter was pretty mild for us this year, except for the week or so of deep, deep freeze.

Good on you and Magnum for getting out and trekking around in the fresh snow. Might as well try to enjoy it in some way, right?