Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

chase the cares away?

I came across this article a few days ago with tips for quickly increasing happiness, particularly in the middle of a pandemic.  Oddly specific, yes, but certainly relevant these days.

In summary, the recommended five quickie activities are:

  • Organize your errands (having a plan reduces stress)
  • Message someone important (today's "socializing")
  • Check your vacation day balance (visualize good times)
  • Watch relaxing nature videos (increase in amusement and curiosity)
  • Write a journal entry (gain control of your emotions)

Okay, nothing earth shattering.  

I'm pondering how much of this stuff I already do.  For instance, yesterday, I organized my errands, sort of.  I was a bit bored and decided to clean my office. Woopy doo.  But, in doing so, I decided to post my old vacuum cleaner for sale.  The vacuum cleaner had a new owner, and I had some fun money within an hour.  Win!

Message someone important?  Hmmm, well I read some blogs and commented.  Does that count?  I say, "yes", because blog friends are certainly important!  Win!

Check my vacation day balance?  I haven't specifically checked my available paid time off, but I have been pondering a little COVID-safe getaway to Arizona.  I've never been to Arizona, but it sounds so warm right now.

Watch relaxing nature videos?  Well, I do take video-watching breaks, but not necessarily relaxing nature videos.  I actually like to watch action-y videos in natural settings like skiing or snowboarding videos, mountain biking and other extreme things I don't do well.  While not necessarily relaxing, they do increase my amusement and curiosity ala, "how do you even do that?!" and/or "how many bones did THAT break?!"

Lastly, writing a journal entry.  Well... yah.  This counts, right? Win!


SOURCE

Additionally, I did another of those Tortoise and Hare races on Sunday.  This  month's was a 5-miler.  While it was a bit chilly and windy, conditions were much better than last month's slip 'n' slide.

In perusing the event photo gallery and "finding myself" in one photo, I found it ironic that I look so alone. The main reason I do these things is to get out with the other runners while managing the virus spread.  

Photographer dude musta had a zoom lens.  I swear, there were other runners.

I managed to pass more tortoises than hares passed me, thus adding a little to my point count.  All in all a fun time.


I'm thankful these little races are a thing, in this time of so many canceled things.

What are you doing to get/stay happy?  (PG-13 version)

 


6 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Clearly no runners as photogenic as thee! You are correct blog comments are a form of socializing, a sort of one way conversation which , depending on how cranky one is, might be the best form of communication.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well you look damn good so who cares about the other runners.
I'm not doing anything well these days for my own inner peace and mental health. I'm a hot mess these days. I may need to take this list.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, it's hard to imagine a lockdown without the internet. I'm glad to be able to socialize with you :)

Peggy, go watch some people crashing on skis or bicycles in pretty, natural surroundings. Feel better?

Tee said...

That's a great picture of you!

Yeah, I think I already do most of the things suggested in the article, but I'll agree, they work (for me).

I'll count blogging as journaling, but I also keep a written gratitude and prayer journal and I usually find that really helpful in keeping the blues at bay. Also, daily walks (or as daily as the weather allows. Some of these sub-zero days keep me inside.)

Brian said...

'Bout that list -
1 - Cindy makes lists of my errands/projects
2 - I text Cindy or my kids once a day or so. They're important, right?
3 - Vacation day balance? Infinite, thanks to retiring!!
4 - Does watching too much CNN count as nature videos? Those Qanon & Proud Boys are real animals!
5 - wrote one yesterday. Try to comment on others daily. Sometimes that's all I have!

Abby said...

Tee, I used to do "morning pages". They were difficult to read (illegible), but I think the benefit comes from just doing them. Maybe I should add it to the repertoire!

Brian, checking all the boxes! Overachieving on #3, but #4 is questionable...