Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2021

slippery sloping

The first week and a little bit of 2021 is in the books.  The world didn't exactly chill out after 2020 ended did it? All part of the adventure.

I was at work yesterday, and a new rehab admit tested positive for COVID.  This was just the third time we've had a positive resident during the COVID times.  In each case, it was determined that the virus was not contracted in our facility, so I'm happy with how successful containment has been.  It's a bit eerie and stressful when it happens, though.  Like that scene from Monster's Inc.?  When the monster comes back with a toddler sock stuck to it?  




Yes, that's totally what it reminds me of.  But in the previous other cases, no other resident contracted the virus after the positive case was contained in Monster's Inc. fashion.  Hopefully, that's once again true in yesterday's mayhem.  But days like that make me feel like, yeah, I should get the vaccine.  A lot of those old folks and invalids have become like friends.


ya think??

In other news, I ran another Tortoise and Hare race this morning.  There's one race per month, October to April, at various distances.  This morning's was a 5K, thankfully not longer.  It was freaking icy! It snowed all day yesterday, leaving about 4 inches on the ground.  

This morning was chilly, and despite the path being plowed, what remained was a sheet of ice.  Really, it would've been better not to have plowed at all, and just let us pack the snow down.  

So, times were slow, but I'm just glad to have remained upright.  I'll count that as a participation prize.  And I learned that my trail shoes are no match for ice.




And speaking of moving on ice.  I think I've decided what I'm gonna do about winter bicycle commuting.  Today, I plan to check out a local bike shop that sells lots of used bicycles and hopefully adopt a suitable one to call my own and dress up in winter tires.  

But nothing crazy.  There's always room for one more?




6 comments:

Linda Sue said...

There was no magic happening New years Day...still so much to sort. I hope you get an inoculation soon, I will likely have to wait until spring, slow moving up here.
Sounds a good remedy to the bike tire situation...just buy another one. Brilliant.

Abby said...

Linda, I think our next round of vaccines will start early February after the first rounders get their second hit. I plan to line up for that.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I don't imagine Abby you can wear those ice cleats over your shoes can you and run well? I know they are awesome for me to walk the dog in but I'm am not sure about running. But you did well and as you said you were upright! That always makes for a good day. :-)
And get the vaccine!

Abby said...

Peggy, I have some of those cleats you stretch over your shoes. Did I bring them to the race? NO :P. Some people were wearing them, but the ice was so thin. Still, it woulda been better than my naked shoes.
I plan to get shot up next month!

Tee said...

As dedicated as you are to commuting by bicycle, I think you're totally justified in buying one for winter use. I know people who have bought a second car ... not for someone else in the family, but just something like a summer car. I always want a decent car to get around in, but I've never felt the need to own more than one.

I can relate to the Monsters, Inc. kind of panic. It's exactly how I felt when I suspected my son caught the virus and I had been in the car with him the day before. (He didn't have it. Whew!)

Abby said...

Tee, now that you mention it, I know some people who have summer homes and winter homes. What's a coupla bikes??