Pages

Friday, January 8, 2021

shots and studs

Interesting start to the new year, eh?  I'll just leave that at that, and stick to my own trivial little world since this is my trivial little blog.  But first, a meme:


On that note, it's been interesting to witness the roll out of the first round of COVID-19 vaccine at my workplace.  Several residents and staff have gotten their first hit.  Everyone I've asked has said that their arm is a little sore, but other than that, they feel just fine.  We are told that the second shot in about three weeks could be more noticeable with side effects of feeling blah for a day or so.  

I passed on this first round.  Personally, I'm not too worried about getting COVID myself, but I would hate to pass it on to someone - particularly any residents at the care facility.  I think the place has done a good job of screening employees and keeping residents safe, but I know they want all of us to get the vaccine.  I might give into the peer pressure and sign up for next month.  

In other news, I've been researching studded snow tires for my bicycle.  I've never wanted them, just like I've never wanted studded snow tires for my car.  But we've had some slippery days recently with more to come.  I've gotten lots of recommendations from people who use them, and I ordered a pair for myself.

Thing is, in Colorado, we get our snowy slippery days, then it melts and the roads are beauty until the next storm.  In addition to recommending the snow tires, many have suggested that I either (1) buy spare rims for easy tire changes - not exactly "cheap" for my bicycle, Ariel, or (2) buy a whole 'nother bike and mount the snow tires on it for riding on snow days.   A whole 'nother bike?  How convenient...

I'm taking Ariel for her annual Spa Day/ Tuneup at the bike shop today.  I'm going to try not to make any silly purchases.  I promise.


5 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

In our state its 1A group with Healthcare workers. 1B is you and the folks you care for. 1C is Rick 65 or old with serious underlying conditions as well as a contractor. I'm way after him.
That meme is too accurate.
Snow tires on a bike. That is new to me. But when I lived where if you needed snow tires you did not get a reprieve as you do in Colorado. Do they have snow chains for bikes like they do cars?

Pearl said...

Haha, I literally wrote that plead in my letter to 2021. I'm not holding my breath though. Not holding my breath for the vaccine either. My husband and I are so far down the list that they will probably forget why we need them. Lol

Abby said...

Peggy, I'm not sure our state has letter-number designations for the vaccine rollout, but sounds similar to you. Either way, fingers crossed it's successful!
I've heard of bicycle tire chains. I think they're less popular than the stud tires because they're heavy and a pain over patches of dry pavement - like the ones for cars.

Pearl, well, hopefully by the time you and your husband are eligible for the vaccine, you won't need it!

Tee said...

Love the meme! We are certainly living through some interesting times. They'll write about us in the history books (and it ain't gonna be flattering!)

I'm interested in getting the vaccine, but I'm not in a hurry which is good since I'm way, way down on the priority list too.

Abby said...

Tee, a friend of mine said we'll be able to help our grandkids with their history homework, livin' it firsthand :)