Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2021

SilverLiningness Sunday

Yesterday was a workday for me, and it was thankfully nice and mellow.  My boss and assistant boss both have Saturdays off, so it's the day of the week that I'm "in charge".  Last Saturday was when we had that latest COVID situation frenzy, so while that was exciting, I was happy for a mellow day yesterday.

After work, Magnum and I went for a walk.  We're back to earning points for cash at his work's health incentive program.  I shoot for 10,000+ steps a day for maximum points.  

So we hoofed it about 4.5 miles, and my linked app credited me with about a measly 3,000 steps for the trip.  I don't think so!  Not only that, but we were nearly hit by a irresponsible bitch woman in an SUV failing to yield to pedestrians (us) in a crosswalk.  

So I figured I'm due a Silver Liningness blog post.  Onward.

Winter bicycle update:  I thankfully decided not to buy a third bicycle, deciding that three's a crowd.  My new winter tires have arrived, and I'm going to put them on Ariel and see how they are on dry pavement.  Others have told me they just leave them on from November-ish to March-ish, and they're fine even on no-ice days, so we shall see.  Here they studly sit beside me, patiently awaiting employment under the watchful eye of Catbug...


Why do I have a Catbug plush?  That's another story.  Anyway, I figure if I don't like the feel of them on dry roads, I'll just change out the tires.  It'll be good practice for flats I don't intend to get.

Whachu reading?  I've just finished reading a couple of books by Japanese authors.  They were recommended to me from my Kindle for some reason.  Both books were strange, but I liked their strangeness.  I think.  

Certainly not for everyone, but I went from going, "okay, what is the point??" to "Hmmm, lemme think about that for a bit" with each.

Working in the time of COVID.  This week, the CEO of the healthcare system I work for mandated that COVID vaccines will be required for employment as of April 1.  We've already had some fallout from staff who don't want the vaccine.  I'd decided to get it at the end of this month before the mandate was announced.  I'm thankful to have it available to me and at the thought of protecting our senior residents.  Fingers crossed it does the job.

In closing, I'm thankful for nice long walks, even if I don't get credited the full step count.  And I'm thankful for not being run over by a motor vehicle.


7 comments:

Linda Sue said...

I would buy those books just for their covers.
Your decision to NOT get another winter riding bike is sensibly frugal and admirable.Good adulting skills, all of which I lack.
Thank you for not getting run over!

Tee said...

Sounds like you made a choice about the winter bicycle that you can live with. So good call!

I walk almost daily during my workday and have noticed how many drivers are antsy to get through the crosswalks. Thankfully I've never come close to getting run over, but I have definitely learned to be hyper-aware of cars when I'm in a crosswalk. So glad you didn't get hit!

Nice that you enjoyed your "strange" books! I'm listening to an audio-book (Anxious People by Fredrik Backman,) and reading one for my work book club (The Third Option by Miles McPherson). Both are pretty good. American Dirt is on my nightstand and I plan to read it when I'm done with the others.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, I admittedly judge books by their covers. I liked both these covers, so decided to dig in.

Tee, sadly, this was not the first time I've almost been hit in a crosswalk. Each time it's been someone making a left turn into me as I cross with the walk signal, and I've learned to be on the lookout.
The Japanese books were nice and different - like watching a foreign film when you're tired of Hollywood.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I read a book called The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.
It can't be weirder than that book. The person at the end becomes a chair. WHAT? I finished the book and threw it!

Abby said...

Peggy, well of course I had to look up your lemon cake book. Reviews are all over the place!

ShadowRun300 said...

How frustrating that all your steps weren’t logged! You deserve credit by golly!
I like your snow tires and think it’s a great compromise. My bike goes into hibernation during the winter - not because of the snow/ice but because of the cold! I’ve always admired your ability to ride in all kinds of weather.
I’m reading Leaders Eat Last. It’s not a relaxing read... I finish a few paragraphs, stop to think about my own team, and then read some more. I expect to finish by 2022. Lol
As for the vaccine, I can see why your company might require it, and I suppose I would get it if I was in your shoes. For now, I’m choosing not to get it, but i will continue to keep an open mind as time goes on.

Abby said...

SR300, I've been inspired by other bicycle commuters who commute year round. "There are no bad-weather days, just bad gear"
Maybe I'll check out Leaders Eat Last for me and my band of misfits!