Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2021

a first

I don't know about you, but it feels like this week just flew by.  Sign of age?  Today is Sunday, right?

We're still dealing with a bit of COVID-19 heightened precautions at the old folks' home, but hope to be able to relax back to the prior "new normal" next week.  At times, it feels like overkill, but our facility has been a benchmark for keeping our residents COVID free, so there's that.  All that PPE does get hot and cumbersome, though.  Apparently, a "hot" nurse has found a way to deal with it.


Uhm... I totally get it, but  I'll pass.

On that note, I'm scheduled for my first hit of Pfizer vaccine this coming Friday.  Of the people I've talked with who have received their first dose, they report side effects from virtually nothing to a little fatigue and headache.  They'll be getting their second hit around the time I get my first.

Speaking of firsts, I went into one of our residents' rooms to find the woman, Dorothy, not looking well.  She was slumped a bit in her chair with an anguished expression on her face. I asked if she was all right, and she told me she was having "such a hard time breathing".

Dorothy is typically very talkative and witty.  Although her body is in decline, her mind is sharp as ever.  She dresses up nicely every day and does her hair and makeup.  

So her appearance was not typical.  She was still in her nightgown, no makeup or jewelry.  She asked me to unhook her bra, which turned out to be no small task.  It was an awkward reach to access the hooks, of which there were three, because of her position in her chair.  Darn those old lady bras with fat straps and three hooks!

Anyway, I got it undone, which seemed to help, and she's since returned to her usual chipper self.  I realized that is the first time I've ever unhooked another woman's bra.  As I struggled, I remember thinking, "maybe a straight guy should do this since it's a task more from their perspective."

And somehow, this post has become mostly about underwear... 



10 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Bras were invented by sadists i reckon. Haven't worn one in about 40 years. But then i don[t have any thing to fill out a cup AAA so... Glad you could help! Also glad that the nurse in undies is comfy.

Abby said...

Linda, some days I wonder why I bother with the bras either. I guess it provides a little extra warmth anyways.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

OMG so many things here...1. that pic of the old guy drooling in his mask makes me laugh.
2. what was wrong with poor Dorothy? And yes a man could have done that better. I wear 3 hooks since forever, not because I am old but because we need 3 hooks to hold up the girls. :-) Rick could do it like a snap of the finger sadly. That is his other skill. LOL
Great to hear your place of employment has not had any covid. Amazing actually. You guys are doing it right. although it seems like a real PIA. Good Luck with your first shot.

Abby said...

Peggy, who knows, maybe the hot PPE nurse adds some life to her patients with her getup?
I have never needed a 3-hook bra, not even a 2-hooker for my ever-adolescent chest. Dorothy just has her "moments" of breathing difficulty. Her husband is no longer alive, but I'm sure he "helped" her in prior days.

Morgan Cartwright said...

Who invented bras anyway? :) Glad Dorothy was feeling better after you helped her. Bras seriously are the worse.

Abby said...

Morgan, I think bras were actually invented by a woman as a step up from the corset? In the grand scheme, not too bad an idea. But still...

Brian said...

Like Pegs Rick, I had developed that special bra hook skill set, even advancing to the one handed release.

Your hot nurse may cause heart palpitations in some of the male residents. Better be careful!

Abby said...

Brian, further evidence that I may not have been the best choice for Dorothy's dilemma. I definitely needed both hands.

Tee said...

If removing her bra is what got Dorothy back to her old self ... well, this idea has serious possibilities! Maybe next time I'm not feeling quite right... :-)

Abby said...

Tee, take out two and call in the morning?