Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

got the club goin' up...

... on a Tuesday.

Okay, that's a reference to a hip hop gangster thug song that somehow made it into my brain on this snowy Tuesday.  The lyrics say something about having to work weekends (selling drugs?  I don't know gangster-speak), so he parties on Tuesday.  Well, I guess Tuesday is a party day for me as it's the end of my "weekend".

I went out for a snowy fun run, and while I was dashing through, that song started playing in my head. But I don't know the words, so it was just kinda,  "hummuh humm huum  on a Tuesday, mmm hummm humma...

I honestly don't even remember why I know that song exists.

Snow had been falling all morning and was supposed to taper off around noon, then the forecast was updated to keep on a-snowing, so I just got dressed and went for it.  It was actually a lovely day in its own way.


The snow was very light and fluffy... on a Tuesday.  Everybody sing!





I broke out my shoe traction things.  What are they called?  I want to say "microspikes", but I think that term applies to those more robust traction things that are for winter hiking. 

Anyway, I broke out the stretchy things with studlies and was glad I did.  There was more snow out there than I'd expected.  





The tutor  matching service I contract through asked us to complete a survey about online learning due to the pandemic and resulting "learning loss" if any.  

I do feel there's been learning loss.  My students say they feel less engaged in the lessons and don't feel as comfortable asking questions during an online class as they do in an in-person class.  These are high schoolers, I'm guessing the impact on elementary and middle school kids is possibly greater.  But then, they had iPads and such when they were babies...?

I realize that not everyone learns or has the same preferences when it comes to socializing.  I enjoy going to my job at the old folks' home mainly because I get to leave the house and do something useful among other people.  Then I can tutor a bit online from home and do something else that's useful.  It's a nice balance for me, thankfully.

on a Tuesday.  Or otherwise.



9 comments:

Tee said...

Well, I'm not doing any running, but I do plenty of walking and just last week was complaining about how icy my path has become. I forgot about those stretchy thingies! I might have to invest in a pair.

I've wondered how well online learning is going. I have coworkers who have kids that are either completely thriving or completely struggling. I think about my little neighbor boys who have little supervision and I suspect it's not going so great for them.

Working from home is going pretty well for me, but like you, I'd prefer to have an option to get out of the house at least now and then.

Abby said...

Tee, yes, get you some stretchy spike things! Such a difference and not expensive at all!
I'm sure some kids are thriving with online learning - I know a few that have done online school since BEFORE covid and definitely prefer it. For others who do lots of school activities, though, it's been a real adjustment.
I'm glad you're able to work comfortably from home.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I have those stretchy spikey things. I love them. It really helps me to walk the dog. Most don't shovel the walks and when it's icy they don't add salt so I need those. Because the way my luck has turned I would fall and not be able to get up and freeze to death with my dog sitting by me. :-)

Linda Sue said...

Thug life!
And that is how I sing along as well...hmmmmhummmdadummda.We rarely have snow worth mentioning but when we do it is never powder! It is ice. Those shoe things may come in handy, i got a pair but they make it worse on ice, So, not going anywhere any time soon anyway. Stay safe, Travel with kitty litter.

Abby said...

Peggy, for what it's worth, I've heard that dying from hypothermia is strangely comfortable?

Linda Sue, when we lived in upstate NY, I got to know freezing rain all too well. It was during such a storm when I asked myself "Why do we live here again?". We moved back to the powder.
Keep singing!

Whimsical Ranter said...

Wow, it's nice to see you're still blogging after all these years.

Abby said...

Whimsical Ranter, WHOA - blast from the PAST! Nice to "see" ya!

Ginny said...

I find it harder to concentrate when working remotely from home. I've been going into the office and prefer that. I think I would feel the same if I was a student.

Abby said...

Ginny, like you, I do better with in-person. At the same time, I'm not big on commuting. It's a conundrum.