Pages

Sunday, December 6, 2020

vehicular thoughts, and staying on course

I've been half-assedly car shopping.  More like car pondering, really.  

We have two cars,  neither of which is driven much.  I commute on my bicycle, Magnum works from home. We drive the cars occasionally but not daily, and I'm not ready to go car free like some other bicycle zealots I know.

So, what to have sitting in the garage?  My current ride is a great little grocery getter. Easy to zip around town in while it takes baby sips of gas.  Most of the time, it suits my needs perfectly.

But then it will snow, and I'm reminded of its limitations.  Then I get all thinking 4x4 something or other.  


Then the snow melts, and I'm all, "Who wants a 4x4?".  Then I'll want to go further into some mountain trails and look dejectedly at the grocery getter... It's a vicious cycle.  In the meantime, the grocery getter stays.

Speaking of moving around, I did another of those Tortoise and Hare races this morning.  This one was a 6K, so a little under 4 miles.  It was fun, and I didn't get lost this time.  We don't have final results yet, but I know I passed more tortoises than hares passed me, so good enough.


It's just nice to have some semblance of The Before Times - before COVID - getting out and racing with other people.  We mask up and don't congregate, try not to breathe on each other while on the course.  Better than nothing.




6 comments:

Lorraine said...

If your grocery getter is paid for and runs well, keep it until it dies. In the meantime keep saving what would be a car payment each month so that when you are ready, you can pay cash for your next vehicle.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

As you know I always say I won't run unless being chased but the other day as I was working my energy levels up to my old 3 mile a day walk I thought, could I run this eventually? Who am I Abby?

Brian said...

Clamco has a good plan! And don't discount 4WD. If you can - select 4WD vs all wheel drive. AWD is all the time, 4WD is switchable so you can stick with just rear drive during normal driving, but when it gets snowy of you're doing a little off roading, you can switch over to 4WD.

Also, not for nothing, my spousal units Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid regularly gets 50+ mpg. No 4WD tho.

Abby said...

Clamco, yeah, we only ever pay cash for cars. Weirdos!

Peggy, you're a runner! You know you want to...

Brian, sound advice on the 4WD vs AWD.

Morgan Cartwright said...

I signed up to do some virtual races this month. I'm waiting for my packet in the mail with the tracking stuff. I am not a runner, but I feel like it's something new that could get me out of this covid funk.

Abby said...

Morgan, cool! Good for you! The tortoise and hares are helping with my funk, fer sure. I missed the October race, but hope to finish the rest of the series.