Pages

Friday, November 20, 2020

when the dog bites, when the bee stings

This week, I lost one glove, one earring, and one sock.  I'm annoyed when I lose one component of a pair.  I would honestly rather have lost the pair of gloves, the pair of earrings, and the pair of socks.  Then I wouldn't have those solo reminders of their uselessness... as they remind me of my carelessness?

BUT I'm not going to whine.  Even with a pandemic in the air (literally), there are always good things happening.  Here are a few of my most recent favorite things:

  • The weather's been lovely.  Not to bore with small talk about the weather or anything, but really, after we got hit with a foot and a half of snow and subsequent cabin fever in October, November's been so kind.  A fellow bicycle commuter refers to it as "Goldilocks weather" because it's just right - after that massive dump of snow put a handle on our wildfires.

  • I'm enjoying my job, and I'm happy with the idea of taking on the lead position.  After getting over the initial queasiness of working with the frail and infirm, I find I get a kick out of the residents and enjoy making their days a little more comfortable, and I enjoy the lot of young coworkers.  Really, if someone would've told me a few months ago that I would be happy to rinse off some dude's dentures (or do other tasks involving old people who don't like wearing clothes, etc.) so he can eat his chicken, I would've said they were talking about someone else.

  • Our new fiber optic internet installation was quick and easy.  Honestly, I haven't noticed much of a difference because I don't really need Gig speed, but it's  nice to know it's there.  No issues so far.  It's only been three days...

  • I got a new vacuum cleaner this week, speaking of boring small talk.  But really, omg, it's life changing.  Y'all know we have two dogs and a cat.  It's a constant battle with the fur, and I was losing.  Chaco linked me up with the new pet vacuum cleaner her recently got and oh my god. Seriously, after the piles of fur I've since sucked up, how do our dogs still have fur on their bodies?

  • Hulu, Netflix, and Kindle are making it easy to stay entertained while social distancing.  

  • I'm remaining positive about staying negative.  With the increase in COVID cases in our state as well as others, our facility has increased required testing to twice a week for staff.  It's nice to know skills acquired as a kid are still useful in real life.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
4. Share a list of some of your most recent favorite things.



10 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I loved this post.
I too think your job would be difficult but something tells me I'd enjoy those old folks too. Our weather has been lovely as well. I love that the snow dump helped with the wildfires but it's better to be in Goldilocks land. It's going to be 66 tomorrow and today is 59 and for late November I'll take it!
What kind of vacuum? I have a regular upright Dyson and I swear there is so much dog hair in a couple of days that I too wonder how she has any hair left. I vacuum every day. However, when she begins to blow her coat I will be vacuuming two to three times a day. I can't even fathom with 2 dogs and a cat. Whoo.
We saw that we have HBO MAx now because we have hbo. There are several things on there I wish to see. So it looks Sat. night is a popcorn and movie night here. happy weekend Abby.

Linda Sue said...

Sorry that you have lost objects, They are paired for life you know and must be heart broken. The sign is the best i have seen, cooties , oh yes, stay away! A new vacuum cleaner is cause for raucous celebration! I ham shaking my noise makers for you!!!

John Holton said...

I always heard that when you go to heaven they give you a huge box of all the stuff you lost.

Abby said...

Peggy, once we got past the discomfort at the old folks home, each of us now feels it's so rewarding, but we sure miss 'em when they "leave". I think you'd have fun and they would love you!
My vacuum is a Bissell Cleanview Swivel Pet and my new best friend.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, the glove, earring, and sock are heartbroken, yes. I feel their pain. New vacuum in da house, we partying now!

John, Ha, that's cute. And if it's true, I look forward to seeing that fat cat we had for about a year. God and the angels can fight over the Tupperware lids, though.

LL Cool Joe said...

You can always wear one earring. I have 6 holes in my lobes and always wear one earring that's different from the others. Actually, come to think of it, I have no idea why.

I'm glad you are enjoying your job, that's always a good thing.

Abby said...

LLCJoe, I have two holes per lobe and like to fill them up. Maybe I'll try to mix it up as I do like that one partnerless earring. If I had six holes per, I'd probably need to get more earrings!

Madamdreamweaver said...

There's a joke on the How To Train Your Dragon movie where the viking says, "Trolls steal your socks. But always the left one." :)

Abby said...

MDW, those rascals! They must be very smart to know which is which!

KatBouska said...

You can't rave about a vacuum and then not link to it...especially when it tackles pet hair so well. How dare you. ;)

And I feel you on losing one of a pair. Because you can't just throw away the remaining item. You know the moment you do the missing one will turn up. It's a lose lose situation.

So glad you're enjoying your new position! Kind of makes me want to get a job outside of the house!