Pages

Saturday, November 21, 2020

run for the donut

Magnum and I did a thing today, a charity run.  It's named the Turkey Donut 5K.  "What is a turkey donut?", you ask.  So did I.  Here ya go:


I have no idea the origin of the name, but the local running club hosts it every year the Saturday before Thanksgiving for a fundraiser for the local food bank.  It's a predict run, meaning that the winner is NOT the fastest runner, but rather the runner who can  most accurately predict his/her finishing time.  For obvious reasons, no watches are allowed during the run.

I ended up 25 seconds faster than I predicted, which I thought was pretty darn close, but NO.  I ended up coming in 18th out of 103 with my guess.  The winner was less than 2 seconds off.



Well, at leat I made the top twenty.  Magnum, who doesn't usually do these kinds of things, came in about 4 minutes faster than he predicted.  So while he wasn't anywhere near the winner's circle, he learned he can run faster than he thought he could.  His prediction put him at 91st place

So it was a good time for a good cause.  They kept us pretty well spaced apart and actually had runners take off in two different directions to further separate us.  Gone are the days of mass starts and elbowing for position *SIGH*.  In fact, I felt pretty alone for much of the run and worried I might go off course like I did during that last event, but nope.

We raised over $1,700 for the cause, despite a pandemic, so woohoo for turkey donuts!

I did manage to win a $25 gift card for a local restaurant in the post-run raffle.  Sadly, our county is going to stricter COVID-19 lockdown restrictions next week.  I'm not much for visiting restaurants these days anyway.  

Remember the carefree days of going to a restaurant with a naked face?  Anywhere outside your house with a naked face?  I think covered faces are going to be with us for a while.  In the meantime, I came across this infographic:


Accurate?

Probably true for Colorado. 

New Hampshire?  Care to weigh in?


7 comments:

Linda Sue said...

congratulations, Glad the prize was not the doughnut, does not look enticing.Accurate map...only one hot pink state?

Anonymous said...

Fun way to race! Kinda like "bracket racing" for cars, where you predict your 1/4mi drag race time. You still go against an opponent, but your green lights illuminate at different times so you cross the finish line like in a real close race. One gotcha, though: If you run *faster* than your prediction, you DQ (disqualify). It rewards knowledge of your car and driver consistency. No lowballing or sandbagging. Btw, killer pace!

Don't know who Matt Surelee is, but I suspect his Instagram following in New Hampshah might be kinda low. Like maybe one guy? (*That* one guy?) But hey, whatever gets you on the map, amiright?

Linda Hensley said...

Congratulations! I'd suggest carry out with your gift certificate. I'm glad you're enjoying your new job too.

I kind of like masks, especially for people with dental problems. I guess I'm also living up to expectations in Ohio. I've watched a lot of TV this year.

Abby said...

Linda Sue, only one hot pink, yes. I searched for much too long.

Anonymous, DQ if you beat your prediction? The anxiety!
That guy in New Hampshah - way to represent!

Linda, I work with many people who I've only seen with masks. I'm sure I wouldn't recognize them without one, and vice versa.

Morgan Cartwright said...

The way of winning sounds like a challenge and fun!

Maybe do carry out from the restaurant?

I don't drink alone, so I guess I'm not the Kansas norm. Shocker. :)

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Congrats on the run. I have to run on a treadmill tomorrow while they test me, wanna guess my time? :-)

Abby said...

Morgan, and I don't smoke weed. I guess we're outliers.

Peggy, I predict it will be time well spent... but not much of a "fun" run!