Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

speed and critters

We're scheduled to undergo a transition of power today.  I'm hoping it goes super smoothly, unlike some *ahem*. 

We're changing internet providers today, so I thought I'd stop by and fluff up the blog in case it all goes belly up.  Our city has begun offering one gig of broadband internet.  That's 1000 Megabits/sec for us old folks!

Our neighborhood was one of the first to have it available back in August, but we had a contract with ¢om¢ast, so waited.  The time has come.

Honestly, I doubt I'll even notice much difference for my usage.  Gamers love it, but I'm not in that crowd.  Magnum will probably appreciate it for downloading CAD files while working from home.  Workers laid the fiber outside yesterday, and the indoor hookup will happen later today.

As per usual these days, we had to affirm that we have not recently tested positive for COVID, have no symptoms of COVID, haven't travelled out of state recently, etc. etc. Ugh, it's gonna be a long winter, I think.  Might as well have Gigabyte speed internet.

Speaking of long winters and apocalypses, we finished up watching season one of To the Lake on Netflix.  


Two thumbs up!  It's left wide open for another season, which I would watch.  But stories like that can drag on for too long and run out of material IMHO, e.g. The Walking Dead.

Speaking of home comforts, here's a little pet parade.  We have our two pooches and cat, and Chaco stopped by on Sunday with his doggo.  The dogs make a mad threesome while the cat hangs out in and trashes my office in protest.

Look how obediently they hang on my every word


Of course not, actually.  I just happened to have treats in my hands.  

And yesterday, Meego sent me an update on Drax, his Euromastyx.  Look how purdy!


He'd just finished shedding and was posing for a fresh pic.  It reminds me of those selfies people strangely post from their bathrooms (note the poop).  Anyway, Drax is looking good and much bigger than when I last saw him in person/reptile.  The pandemic has treated him well.

That's the main excitement from my neck of the woods.  Fur and scales.  

Stay safe, everyone.  I hope to visit from the Gigabyte side soon.


5 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I don't even know if I have a gig or not. All I know is I recently did a speed test and I was 14.0 mbps on downloads and 8.22 mbps on upload. It said my computer was fast? But is it? I don't even know I am so clueless about this stuff.
I love the dogs staring at you. Cute photos. The reptile is an interesting color.I may have to check out To The Lake now. Thanks! I am 1/2 way through the Crown. Boy those royals are a messed up bunch.

Anonymous said...

The pandemic has treated me similarly.... as in Drax & I are both much bigger than before. It's a good look for him, buuuuut.......

Abby said...

Peggy, we used to have around 200 mbps download and 5 upload, which was actually just fine for our needs. Last speed test was around 350 mbps upload and download. Do I notice? Nah.
I'm tempted to watch The Crown but feel a bit icky picking on the queen...

Anonymous, a guy I know has a good strategy for dealing with the pandemic - "buy bigger clothes"

Kim@StormsAndStardust said...

I hope the transition of power went well!

Although I'm literally minutes from one of the biggest cities in my state, I actually live in a small rural town/community nearby. And despite tremendous growth out here, Mediacom remains our only ISP option. I thought I was going to ditch them a few summers ago, and called both Dish and Comcast only to find out that they both subcontracted their internet service out to Mediacom. Google Fiber has come to Huntsville, but that isn't available out here, and neither are Fios or AT&T U-Verse.

At least I do have a TB with them, and when things don't go wrong, they're pretty great. I couldn't get a TB for anywhere near what I pay for it at Mediacom, anyhow.

Kim

Abby said...

Kim, it seems the transition of power went smoothly!
I like having healthy competition for internet service, but glad you're happy with your one game in town!