Pages

Friday, October 9, 2020

the dogs ate my shoe, and the cat stole my ring

The title pretty much sums up the last couple of days.  

Our dogs don't typically eat shoes, but never say never.  I came home from work and kicked off my shoes a couple of days ago.  No doubt, the shoes had some enticing-to-dogs smells on them from the kitchen.  A while later, I discovered what looked like the remnants of a shoelace.  Alas, one of the shoes had been violated, but not too seriously.  

Luckily for the dogs, those shoes were about to be thrown out anyways, having served a good life.  Rather than try to revive them, I chucked them.  My wedding band, however...

I'd taken my wedding band off and stuck it in the pocket of my jeans on Tuesday night before bed to slather on some nourishing hand lotion.  The next morning, I couldn't find the band, so went about my day like an unwed woman.  That evening, we looked all around where it HAD to be- near where I'd hung up my jeans - but came up empty.  The cat stole it, it's the only logical explanation. 

Another day went by with no trace of it, but this morning, I slipped on my house shoes, and there it was: inside one of them.  I've put those shoes on the past two days, but only this morning noticed the band inside.  Aha, clearly, the cat felt guilty and put it there.  Or rather, he got bored with the game.

It's been a good week, though.  While at the dentist, the dental assistant and I talked of how we enjoyed "going to" work as opposed to working from home.  Of course there are several factors that weigh in including job description, coworkers, work environment, commute, etc.  

I feel I have the best of both worlds, having a part-time away-from-home gig (with a super short commute) and a part-time from-home gig.  I enjoy them both and don't get burned out on either. 

This week, I was asked to help train a new-hire at the rehab facility.  I take that as a cue that I have moved out of "noob" status myself.  

And finally, the world said good-bye to Eddie Van Halen this week.  I know I wasn't alone in crushing on him (BIGtime) back in the 80s.  He was just so dang talented!

Back then, people often told me I resembled Valerie Bertinelli, so when the two of them got hitched, I found solace in thinking that EVH would favorably spot me in a crowd.  Maybe?


Today should be a full day off for me.  I'll do some housewifery, maybe listen to some fave Van Halen tunes, maybe get some shoes...




5 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Awe they were so young there!
Great you found your ring!

Linda Sue said...

thieving pets, every time! Glad you found the ring so you can fend off the throngs of single men with just one "talk to the hand" gesture. Eddy was amazing and so damned cute! So sorry he had a rough time, self imposed, mind you, but...WOW they are all dying...Wait for ME!!
That you looked like Valerie is enough! Darling girl.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Okay wasn't expecting it in your slipper. How funny, that darn cat!
Sirius classic vinyl yesterday was only playing Van Halen. It was fun for me to listen while at my desk. And if you look like Val then damn good thing woman that you found your wedding band!!

Lorraine said...

My pets are the reason we can't have nice things. lol I had a cats that loved to chew on flip flops and pretty much ruined every pair I had. Glad you found your ring. I rarely take mine off and it fits so tight now, that I probably couldn't if I wanted to. lol. I was sad to read of Eddie's passing and even sadder to read Valerie Bertinelli's post about it on Twitter. She was with him when he died.

Morgan Cartwright said...

Cats are such jerks! :) I'm glad he was nice enough to return it!