Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2020

touching the void

I'm in therapy.  Physical therapy?  Kinda?

It was almost exactly one year ago that I had that monster tooth removed from my head.  I don't miss it, but I have missed chewing over there.  This morning, I got my "dentures"


This whole mouthpiece for one tooth, but it's the simplest solution.  I love it already.  It needs a name.

So I've been eating a bunch doing therapy to learn to chew over there again.  It's a slow go, and I'm feeling quite full.  Still, I'll continue in the name of progress.






Remember being a teenager with that raging teenage metabolism?  I remember eating large bowls of cereal just before bed, going out with friends for pizza or chili fries after Friday night football games, etc.  All of that in addition to three square meals a day.  If I ate now the way I did in high school, I'd probably weigh around 300 pounds.

The reminisces came up at work over the weekend.  Someone said something about coworker Young Mick, and a cook chimed in, "Ever see his breakfast order??"

We can eat whatever we'd like at work, and are allowed to order one meal per shift from the cooks for our scheduled break.  I know it's already made a noticeable dent in my own grocery bill, and others similarly appreciate the perk.  

Young Mick is 17 years old.  Super nice kid and a very compassionate helper to the old folks.  I'd never particularly taken notice of what he eats, even though we take breaks together, since we're all spread apart while eating these days.  But when the cook mentioned the amount of food he puts away, the rest of us covertly observed yesterday.

A pile of French toast, several slices of bacon, eggs, pastry, OJ... Still hungry, he grabbed a cup of thick yogurt to ceremoniously end the feast.  He managed it all in the time it took me to finish a breakfast sandwich and cup of coffee.  Impressive.  Seemingly not an ounce of fat on that kid.  Ah, to be 17 again.  I'm sure his parents appreciate the supplement, and I hope they have a large pantry.

As I'm learning to chew with my whole mouth again, I managed another Inktober submission for the prompt "Rodent".  What to draw? 


I wonder why that concept came to mind...



4 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I don't think I could eat like that at 17 and I sure can't now.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I have NEVER been able to eat like that. But my 17 year old boyfriend could. He'd eat 4 big sandwiches and big glasses of milk. Then he'd proceed to look for something sweet. I recall his mom saying that he alone drank a gallon of milk in a matter of days and she had 3 boys! Wow. My house was 5 girls. Someone was always dieting. Such contrasts.

Morgan Cartwright said...

Is Young Mick an athlete? I feel like that's something a swimmer or hardcore runner could put away. Then again, Peyton puts food away like nobodies business too and he skateboards. :)

Abby said...

Sandie, I could eat quite a bit at 17, but not like young Mick.

Peggy, interesting the contrasts! I had a friend who had 4 boys. She practically lived at the grocery store.

Morgan, I think young Mick plays basketball and maybe football, but there's no football season this year because of COVID. But yeah, even skateboarding can push them to the upper realms!