Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2020

a Halloweener

 What was that I heard?  Someone calling for help?

"HELP!"

Yup, there it was again.  And it continued with rhythmic frequency

"HELP!"

"HELP!"

I was in a hallway at work, and to be honest, such pleas are not uncommon.  They can be for anything from, "I dropped my glasses" to "I've fallen and can't get up" and anything in between.

I entered the room and asked the resident if there was something I could do for him.  He was a relatively big man sitting up on his elbows in bed, his eyes a bit wild looking, just recently admitted for rehabilitation of some kind.  I didn't know anything about him or his condition.  

But it was evident that he could sufficiently hear me, and he spoke clearly with no slurred or slowed speech. All in all, at first glance, he seemed in pretty good shape compared to some of the others, until...

"There was a little kid just in here!  He was looking for somebody, and then he took off!  My legs don't work or I would've gone after him!"

Oh, okay.  I made a mental note that the guy wasn't as coherent as I'd first thought.  There were most certainly no little kids running around the facility.  But I played along and asked for a description, so the man would know I took him seriously.

A little boy, about 9 or 10 years old.  He's wearing pajamas and looking for someone named Nick.  He'd entered the room and even listened to the man's chest for a while before running out into the hallway.  

"Okay, thank you, sir.  I'll let others know to be on the lookout.  I'm sure we'll find him and get him in touch with Nick", I responded.

He seemed relieved and relaxed back onto the bed.  I mentioned the episode to his CNA and chalked it up to another day in a care facility.

Pffft, a little boy running around in his PJs.  


In a care facility.

Yeah, right.

I mean, people die here.  

It's no place for kids.


Right?


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with MamaKat for the prompt:
2. Write about something that has pleasantly surprised you.

5 comments:

John Holton said...

He might have dreamt it. Or.... maybe not...

Linda Sue said...

My friend was dying, toward the end when we went into her room she would ask who that little person was that came in with us. Who knows
Abby, seems to be a common occurrence, brain on the fritz, chemicals discharged, wiring faulty , just part of the process? Don't know but you did the right thing! You are a smart cookie!

Abby said...

John, my thoughts exactly

Linda Sue, now I'm wondering who that little person with you was too.

LL Cool Joe said...

When my Dad was in hospital he told me he saw a little naked Indian man running through the ward. It was because he was dehydrated, which is quite common in elderly people. Or maybe ...

Abby said...

Cool Joe, just maybe...