Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2020

what's old is new

 I always feel like a fresh start this time of year.  I think it's  a holdover from my days as a schoolkid.  This is the time of year for new school supplies and clothes, new teachers and schedules, etc.  Open up that fresh new notebook with the virgin paper, at the ready with a long pencil with a pristine eraser or a pen full to the brim with ink and let the learning begin! ... before everything goes to sh*t around the second week of school.

With those memories in  mind, I started the new part-time dietary job at the rehab facility this week.  The place consists of two floors.  The first floor is more typical rehabilitation residents - recovering from a recent surgery or such.  They're not bad enough to be in a hospital, but not quite good enough to go home.  

The second floor is people who will never fully recover and need long term care.  The only "home" they will return to is the Home with capital-H, know what I'm sayin'?

I never purposely aspired to work in geriatric care, but here I am, and it's all good.  My new coworkers are very nice, caring... kids.  I say kids because, so far, they all seem so young.  College age.  The kitchen staff is older and more on par with me, but I'm out with the young troops.  

I've typically worked with other retired moms like myself in these positions, and I think one of the reasons I was an appealing applicant was because I don't have a class schedule to plan around.  Plus, maybe our boss thought the crew needed a den mother?

Walking Dead fans will get the reference
regarding my den mother skillz

So I think I'll enjoy it, and it gets me out of the house a few days a week while adding some fun money to our lives.  It also allows for a few tutoring hours each week.  From what I've seen so far, the residents are well cared for, and the place is clean and abiding by all the COVID-19  protocols.

Some of the residents are very sharp and interesting to talk to, but they can barely move.  Others have no idea where they are or what they did 5 minutes ago, and they can barely move.  Magnum asked if we have to worry about someone escaping.  Oh hell no.


Many have photos scattered about their rooms, depicting them during younger, livelier times.  I try to look past their current frailties, of which there are many. 

It's pretty sad if I let it get to me, but I'm learning from these "kids" who are good at keeping things upbeat and respectful.





----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up this week with Mama Kat for the prompt:
3. Write a blog post inspired by the word: fresh.



16 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Well good luck in your new job. That job would kill me. I am so sensitive. But boy God bless you - those people need people - good people like you! It is a gift for sure!

John Holton said...

Sometimes I think you just end up where you need to be. The kids need you, and so do the old folks. Best of luck...

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Because of my age I think I may find this place depressing. I hate the fragility of my body over time. I mean I HATE IT.
I honestly have no issues yet one day at my father's funeral I knelt down on one knee to speak to someone and he said, "oh don't do that you won't be able to get up" I laughed and did it anyway. I mean I can get up, I always can get up. Honest to God for the first time ever, it was difficult. WHAT? I am not old. I am fine. I walk 3 miles a day. I climb stairs 32 times a day. When did this happen to me? So now I practice it because it bothered me that it was difficult. WTH??? Aging sucks big dicks. There I said it.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

frailty, is the word I meant Abby.

Abby said...

Sandie, one of the girls who trained me said she'd trained another newbie recently. That one quit after the first day, saying she was "uncomfortable". My trainer was afraid it had to do with her training, but I'm pretty sure the person quit because of the residents. It's not for everyone.

John, that's a nice thought. I'm going with it!

Abby said...

Peggy, I think that's what makes these coworker "kids" able to easily deal with all of it. They don't see it as ever happening to them. Those of us closer to the "golden years" are feeling the heat!
Keep at it! It's use it or lose it!

Linda Sue said...

my friend jogged every day of his life and ate well- they found him on his door step after a jog, deader than a doornail. Use is or lose it does not always apply I guess.
I am so glad those people have you to help them, you are a good one!!

Abby said...

Linda Sue, you're right. Even use it or lose it has an expiration date. Sorry about your friend, but, in a way, he likely had the easier exit.

Morgan Cartwright said...

This job sounds perfect for you. You'll get to hear some interesting stories. Probably repeatedly :)

Patty said...

Your attitude, where the older folk are concerned, is wonderful. Understanding that they were all once young and, for many of them, still young, at least in their minds, is heartwarming. The last conversations they might have will be with you, most likely, because you will take the time to listen as well as comfort them.

I'm guessing we all hope for the same when we get to that last chapter in life.

Abby said...

Morgan, I'm enjoying the new job. It's actually better in many ways than the one that I was COVID-squeezed out of. And yes, there's plenty of repeating, from them AND me. All's good!

Patty, I hadn't thought of the "last conversations", but realize you're right. Obviously, none of them wants to be in that state, but whatever makes things easier.

Madamdreamweaver said...

My mom is one of those mostly immobile people in a nursing home. Being with so many college age kids interested in doing a good job at that kind of work is actually pretty inspiring.

Abby said...

MDW, both of my parents lived out their final months in such a place. These kids are a good bunch, treating residents with dignity and care. Real role models.

LL Cool Joe said...

Well good for you, I think I'd feel like topping myself if I did work like that. A reminder of what's to come if Covid doesn't get me first. Nice to hear the kids are treating the residents well.

Abby said...

LLC Joe, I'm kinda surprised how much I enjoy it.

KatBouska said...

We need more people like you working in units like that. I'm glad you took the job. Funny that as den mother you've got young ones under your wing while caring for old ones...you're like THE most popular.